Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projections of complex vectors

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    I need some clarification on projections of complex vectors. If I have a nxm matrix of complex numbers V and a mx1 matrix s, and I want to find the projection of s onto any column of V. The formula to do this is

c = <V, s>/||V(j)||^2 where V(j) is the column of V to be used. My question is, what is <V,s>? is that the inner product of the whole matrix V with s, or is it the inner product of V(j) with s? Where V or V(j) would be the Hermition of the vector.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where did you find this formula? I'm only familiar with projections of vectors onto other vectors and onto subspaces. I have no idea what <V,s> means, or what the projection of s onto V(j) means, since V(j) isn't a member of the same vector space as s.

4. Nov 3, 2012 #3
    I see I wasn't clear on my question. What I meant is the projection of vector vector s onto a vector V. By V(j) I meant a column of matrix V. <V, s> is the inner product of V and s. I know about projections of one vector onto another vector when they are all real numbers. In this case, I have a matrix V with complex numbers. I want to project s onto a column of V. I hope my question is clearer now.

5. Nov 3, 2012 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But if V is an n×m matrix and s is not, how can you be talking about the inner product of V and s? An inner product takes two members of a vector space (the same vector space) to a number, but V and s aren't in the same vector space. Also, if s is m×1, and V(j) is n×1, they're not in the same vector space either (unless of course n=m).

Another thing: You seem to be thinking of "vectors" as ordered sets of numbers. That's not always the case. The members of any vector space are called vectors. A vector space V is considered "complex" when the scalar multiplication operation is a function from V×ℂ into V. There are real vector spaces whose members are matrices with complex entries.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook