1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideals and GCDs in k[x] ... ... Cox et al ...

1. Jul 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am reading the undergraduate introduction to algebraic geometry entitled "Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms: An introduction to Computational Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra (Third Edition) by David Cox, John Little and Donal O'Shea ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 1, Section 5: Polynomials of One Variable ... ... and need help with the proof of Proposition 8, part 3 ...

Proposition 8 of Chapter 1 (including Definition 7 which is relevant) reads as follows:

?temp_hash=0292a2083050a3ef6d81c413a30bf337.png

In the above text from Cox et al we read the following:

" ... ... To prove part (iii), let ##h \ = \ GCD(f_2, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s)##. We leave it as an exercise to show that

##<f_1, h> \ = \ <f_1, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s>##

... ... "

I need help to show that ##<f_1, h> \ = \ <f_1, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s>## ... ...

2. Relevant equations

These are all introduced in context, in 3 below ... ...

3. The attempt at a solution

Work so far ...

We need to show that ##<f_1, h> \ \subset \ <f_1, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s>## ... and also that

##<f_1, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s> \ \subset \ <f_1, h>##

So to show ##<f_1, h> \ \subset \ <f_1, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s>## we start with

Let ##l \in <f_1, h>## ...

Then, by definition of ##<f_1, h>##, we have that ##l = f_1 t_1 + h t_2 where t_1, t_2 \in k[x]## ...

Now we have that ##h = GCD(f_2, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s)## ... BUT ... how do we use this in the proof?

Note that we also have

##(1) \ h = GCD(f_2, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s) \ \Longrightarrow \ h \text{ divides } f_2, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s##

## \ \Longrightarrow \ h = f_2 u_2, h \ = \ f_3 u_3, \ ... \ ... \ , h \ = \ f_s u_s##

for some ##u_2, \ ... \ ... \ , u_s \in k[x]## ...

(2) ##k[x]## is a PID so that:

##<f_1, h > \ = \ <v>## for some polynomial ##v \in k[x]## ... ...

... but, how do we use (1) and (2) in the required proof ...

Can someone please help me to complete the proof of ##<f_1, h> \ = \ <f_1, \ ... \ ... \ , f_s>## ...

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The easy part is ##I := <f_1, \dots , f_s> \;⊆ \;<h>\; ⊆\; <h,f_1>\;## because every ##f_i## can be written ##f_i = g_i \cdot h## by definition of ##h##. Thus any ##f = \sum a_i f_i ∈ I## gets ##f = \sum a_i g_i h ∈ \; <h>.##
    The other way, your first, is essentially Bézout's Lemma. I'm too lazy to type it from Wikipedia. Maybe you get along with what is written there:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bézout's_identity

It might as well be the quoted proposition 6 or corollary 4. It means that you can write ##h_2 = p_1 f_1 + p_2 f_2## if ##h_2## is the greatest common divisor of ##f_1## and ##f_2## and then by induction ##h = p_1 f_1 + \dots + p_s f_s## which is what we need for ##h \in I.##

It applies to PID, so you may substitute "integers" by "polynomials". There is a written proof and a link to the polynomial version (without proof as far as I could see): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyn...9zout.27s_identity_and_extended_GCD_algorithm

If you have further questions to it or about the Wiki entry, please let me know.

4. Jul 3, 2016 #3

Thanks for the help fresh_42 ...

Still reflecting on your post ... but basically followed that ...

Thanks again ... most helpful

Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted