Proof By Mathematical Induction

I didn't even think about that, I just assumed the person who posted knew what they were talking about.
erok81

Homework Statement

Use mathematical induction to prove the following statement.

[tex]n \geq 2,~ \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k^2}~<~1-\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the third problem I've done of this type, so I am by no means an expert. So this attempt may be completely wrong. :redface:

Basis step:
Prove that P(2) is true. The examples in the text start with proving 1 first. Since this is for all n greater or equal to 2, I figured I would start at the lowest possible n. Except the sum starts at 1 - so I was a little unsure here.

[tex]\frac{1}{2^2}~<~1-\frac{1}{2}~\Rightarrow~ \frac{1}{4}<\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

This is true and therefore P(2) is true.

Induction step:
Assume that P(k) is true.
This is just a matter of replacing the n's and k's with k.

This yields:
[tex]\frac{1}{k^2}~<~1-\frac{1}{k}[/tex]

Next, prove that P(k+1) is true. Here obviously the k's are replaced by (k+1)'s.

[tex]\frac{1}{(k+1)^2}~<~1-\frac{1}{(k+1)}[/tex]

Since k comes before k+1 in the sum I tried this on the LHS...

[tex]\frac{1}{k^2}+\frac{1}{(k+1)^2}~<~1-\frac{1}{(k+1)}[/tex]

This didn't work. I tried combining the LHS into one fraction. Same on the RHS. But could see definite proof that the RHS was greater than the LHS.

What step am I missing? Is there a better way to prove this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your induction step is wrong.

It should be:

Assume that [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{m} \frac{1}{k^2}~<~1-\frac{1}{m}[/tex] is true for m ≥ 2.

Show that [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{m+1} \frac{1}{k^2}~<~1-\frac{1}{m+1}[/tex] is true.

Huh. I'll give that a try.

In my text for similar examples they do the induction like I have.

The book's only summation example goes like this.

[tex] \sum_{j=0}^{n}ar^{j}~=~ \frac{ar^{n+1}-a}{r-1}[/tex]

They then show the k step as...

[tex] ar^{k}~=~ \frac{ar^{k+1}-a}{r-1}[/tex]

And the (k+1) step just replacing the k's with (k+1)

Although...if I proceed in your manner, I have no idea what to do next. I could write out a few steps on the summation. But then I would be back to what I have

[tex]
\frac{1}{k^2}+\frac{1}{(k+1)^2}~<~1-\frac{1}{(k+1)}
[/tex]

Except with m's instead of k's.

I suspect your textbook does something different than what you are interpreting it as doing. (Perhaps I'll come back to this in a subsequent post.)

Notice that  [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{m+1} \frac{1}{k^2}=\frac{1}{(m+1)^2}+\sum_{k=1}^{m} \frac{1}{k^2}\ .[/tex]

So,  [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{m+1} \frac{1}{k^2}<\frac{1}{(m+1)^2}+1-\frac{1}{m}\ .[/tex]

You'll need to show that   [tex]\frac{1}{(m+1)^2}+1-\frac{1}{m}\leq1-\frac{1}{m+1}\ ,[/tex] for m ≥ 2.

Ok...I think I see what you are saying now. for the next 15 hours I have work and school. I'll come back to this as soon as I get off of work and try it again.

Thanks for the help so far!

Ok I finally got it.

Thanks again for the help. That made sense.

Now I just need to practice that induction step on more sums. I can do them on non-sums no problem. I think with what you've posted I should be able to get it.

Isn't the problem as stated false? [itex]\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k^2}[/itex] will always be greater than 1 and [itex]1 - \frac{1}{n}[/itex] will be less than 1. I think what is meant is [itex]\sum_{k=2}^n \frac{1}{k^2}[/itex] instead. How does the condition [itex]n \ge 2[/itex] effect the start condition of [itex]k=1[/itex]?

snits said:
Isn't the problem as stated false? [itex]\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k^2}[/itex] will always be greater than 1 and [itex]1 - \frac{1}{n}[/itex] will be less than 1. I think what is meant is [itex]\sum_{k=2}^n \frac{1}{k^2}[/itex] instead. How does the condition [itex]n \ge 2[/itex] effect the start condition of [itex]k=1[/itex]?

Actually, [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{6}\approx 1.64493\dots[/tex]

SammyS said:
Actually, [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{6}\approx 1.64493\dots[/tex]

And that agrees with what I said. If the task is to prove [itex]\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k^2} < 1 - \frac{1}{n}[/itex] where [itex]n \ge 2[/itex], then we have a counterexample with the case of [itex]n=2[/itex].

[tex]\begin{align*}\sum_{k=1}^2 \frac{1}{k^2} &< 1 - \frac{1}{2} \\ \frac{1}{1^2} + \frac{1}{2^2} &< \frac{1}{2} \\ 1 + \frac{1}{4} &< \frac{1}{2} \\ \frac{5}{4} &< \frac{1}{2} \end{align*}[/tex]

is obviously false.

If on the other hand the task is to prove [itex]\sum_{k=2}^n \frac{1}{k^2} < 1-\frac{1}{n}[/itex] where [itex]n \ge 2[/itex], then the proof by induction will work.

Or what am I missing here? It has been a long time (~15 years) since I have studied any of this, but I am pretty sure the condition [itex]n \ge 2[/itex] only effects the upper limit of the index.

snits said:
And that agrees with what I said. If the task is to prove [itex]\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k^2} < 1 - \frac{1}{n}[/itex] where [itex]n \ge 2[/itex], then we have a counterexample with the case of [itex]n=2[/itex].

You are absolutely correct.

I suppose there was a typo in the original post & the sum should have had n start at 2, not 1.

1. What is proof by mathematical induction?

Proof by mathematical induction is a method used to prove that a statement is true for all positive integers. It involves two steps: the base case, where the statement is shown to be true for the first integer, and the inductive step, where it is shown that if the statement is true for one integer, it is also true for the next integer.

2. How does proof by mathematical induction work?

Proof by mathematical induction works by starting with the base case, where the statement is shown to be true for the first integer. Then, assuming that the statement is true for some integer, the inductive step is used to show that it is also true for the next integer. This process is repeated for all integers, proving that the statement is true for all of them.

3. When is proof by mathematical induction used?

Proof by mathematical induction is used when a statement needs to be proven true for all positive integers. It is a useful tool in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, calculus, and number theory.

4. What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

Strong induction is a variation of mathematical induction where, instead of assuming that the statement is true for one integer, it is assumed to be true for all integers up to a certain value. Weak induction, on the other hand, only assumes that the statement is true for the previous integer. Both methods can be used to prove the same statements, but strong induction can often provide a shorter proof.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using proof by mathematical induction?

One common mistake when using proof by mathematical induction is assuming that the statement is true for all integers without properly proving the base case. It is also important to ensure that the inductive step is valid for all integers, as using it incorrectly can lead to an incorrect proof. It is always important to carefully check each step of the proof to ensure its validity.