1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof involving subsets of a vector space

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a problem from chapter 1.3 of Linear Algebra by F/I/S.

Let [itex]W_{1}[/itex] and [itex]W_{2}[/itex] be subspaces of a vector space V. Prove that [itex]W_{1}[/itex] [itex]\cup[/itex] [itex]W_{2}[/itex] is a subspace of V iff [itex]W_{1}[/itex][itex]\subseteq[/itex][itex]W_{2}[/itex] or [itex]W_{2}[/itex] [itex]\subseteq[/itex] [itex]W_{1}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

See attempt at solution.

3. The attempt at a solution

My proof goes as such:

If [itex]W_{1}[/itex][itex]\subseteq[/itex][itex]W_{2}[/itex] then the union of those subspaces is [itex]W_{2}[/itex], therefore, by the given, it the union is a subspace of V.
    The same logic is used to argue the other subset.

I'm not sure if this is correct, and additionally, I'm not sure if its a logical proof. I feel it is a little cyclical maybe. Thanks for all the help, I'm having a tough time with this text.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2012 #2
    Yeah that's half of the solution right there.

Then you need to also show (it's iff = if and only if), given that [itex] W_1 \cup W_2 [/itex] is a subspace, either [itex] W_1 \subset W_2 [/itex] or [itex] W_2 \subset W_1 [/itex]

4. Jul 18, 2012 #3
    Okay cool. Thanks. I'm self studying this book as a first exposure to linear algebra so I'm sure I'll be posting some more questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook