1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of a corollary of fundamental theorem of algebra

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming the validity of the fundamental theorem of algebra, prove the corollary that:

Every polynomial of positive degree n has a factorization of the form:

[itex]P(x)=a_{n}(x-r_{1})...(x-r_{n})[/itex] where [itex]r_{i}[/itex] aren't necessarily distinct.

2. Relevant equations

Fundamental Theorem of Algebra: Every polynomial of positive degree with complex coefficients has at least one complex zero.

3. The attempt at a solution

Does this even require proof? Don't know where to begin...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure it requires proof. Start by saying P(x) is has a root r1. Show (x-r1) divides P(x), so you can write P(x)=(x-r1)P1(x) where P1(x) has degree n-1. Now apply the same thing to P1(x). Etc. If you want to be more formal you prove it by induction.

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3
    Attempt:

(1) We have a polynomial [itex]P(x)=a(x-r_{1})[/itex]

(2) [itex]x-r_{1}[/itex] is a factor if and only if [itex]r_{1}[/itex] is a zero (Remainder theorem)

(3) [itex]P(r_{1})=a(r_{1}-r_{1})[/itex] which is zero, therefore [itex]r_{1}[/itex] is a zero and [itex]x-r_{1}[/itex] is a factor.

At this point I have a question: by what theorem can now take the step: (4) [itex]P(x)=a(x-r_{1})(x-r_{n-1})[/itex] or should this be obvious? Because I don't understand why is this the case.

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

P(x) is a polynomial of degree n. You've only got a polynomial of degree 1. Reread my last post.

6. Mar 24, 2012 #5
    But I can't assume that [itex]P(x)[/itex] is a polynomial o degree n and than just write: [itex]P(x)=a(x-r_{1})[/itex] where do I indicate the degree? Should I write: [itex]P(x)=a(x-r_{1})^{n}[/itex] ? Or something?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  7. Mar 24, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would write it as [itex]P(x)=(x-r_{1})P_1(x)[/itex]. When you divide [itex]x-r_1[/itex] into [itex]P(x)[/itex] you are going to get another polynomial, not just a constant.

8. Mar 24, 2012 #7
    Attempt #2:

(1) We denote a polynomial of degree n as [itex]P(x)=a(x-r_{1})P_{1}(x)[/itex]

(2) [itex]x-r_{1}[/itex] is a factor if and only if [itex]r_{1}[/itex] is a zero (Remainder theorem)

(3) [itex]P(r_{1})=a(r_{1}-r_{1})P_{1}(r_{1})[/itex] which is (NOT?)zero, therefore [itex]r_{1}[/itex] is (NOT?)a zero and [itex]x-r_{1}[/itex] is (NOT?) a factor.

It doesn't divide then? Or have I misunderstood smth?

9. Mar 24, 2012 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would be inclined to do this as a "proof by induction" on n, the degree of the polynomial. You have done the "n= 1" case. Now show that "if a polynomial of degree k can be factored as linear factors, so can a polynomial of degree k+1".

10. Mar 25, 2012 #9
    (1) We have a statement [itex]P_{1}[/itex] "a polynomial [itex]a(x-r_{1})[/itex] has expresion [itex]x-r_{1}[/itex] as a factor", which is equivalent to saying that it can be factored as [itex]a(x-r_{1})[/itex]???. Lets call the first polynomial [itex]P_{1}(x)[/itex] in accordance to first statement and denote [itex]P_{n}(x)[/itex] a polynomial corresponding to the statement [itex]P_{n}[/itex] for the polynomial [itex]a(x-r_{1})(x-r_{2})...(x-r_{n})[/itex]

(2) Now, [itex]x-r_{1}[/itex] is a factor if and only if [itex]r_{1}[/itex] is a zero (Remainder theorem)

(3) Since [itex]P_{1}(r_{1})=a(r_{1}-r_{1})[/itex] is equal to zero, therefore [itex]r_{1}[/itex] is a zero and [itex]x-r_{1}[/itex] is a factor of the polynomial.

(4) Assume that statement [itex]P_{k}[/itex] is true.

(5) [itex]P_{k+1}[/itex] is the statement: a polynomial [itex]a(x-r_{1})(x-r_{2})...(x-r_{k})(x-r_{k+1})[/itex] has expresion [itex]x-r_{k+1}[/itex] as a factor. Repeating (2) and (3) with [itex]r_{k+1}[/itex] we get [itex]P_{k+1}(k+1)=0[/itex]

(6)Therefore every polynomial of positive degree n has a factorization of the form:

[itex]P(x)=a_{n}(x-r_{1})...(x-r_{n})[/itex] where [itex]r_{i}[/itex] aren't necessarily distinct.

Q.E.D. ??? I don't think so.

Shouldn't I start with general rule for a polynomial: [itex]f(x)=a_{n}x^{n}+a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+...+a_{1}x+a_{0}[/itex] ???

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  11. Mar 25, 2012 #10
    Can someone approve that this constitutes a proof of what I intended to prove? Maybe additional qualifications are needed - some steps are missing?

12. Mar 25, 2012 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are doing induction [itex]P_k[/itex] should be the statement "any polynomial of degree k can be expressed in the form [itex]a (x-r_1) (x-r_2) ... (x-r_k)[/itex]".

You can do the k=1 case without using your theorem at all. [itex]f(x)=a_1 x + a_0[/itex] is a polynomial of degree 1. You can write that as [itex]f(x)=a_1 (x + \frac{a_0}{a_1})[/itex] Since your root is [itex]r_1=(-a_0/a_1)[/itex] that expresses f(x) in the form a(x-r). To prove [itex]P_k[/itex] implies [itex]P_{k+1}[/itex], pick a polynomial p(x) of degree k+1. The fundamental theorem of algebra says p(x) has a root, call it [itex]r_{k+1}[/itex]. So [itex]p(x)=(x-r_{k+1})*q(x)[/itex] where q(x) has degree k. Now use your induction hypothesis on q(x).

13. Mar 25, 2012 #12
    (1) Assume the statement [itex]P_{k}[/itex]: "the polynomial [itex]q(x)[/itex] od degree k can be written as [itex]q(x)=a_{k}(x-r_{1})...(x-r_{k})[/itex]" is true.

(2) Now the statement [itex]P_{k+1}[/itex] is about the polynomial [itex]p(x)=(x-r_{k+1})q(x)[/itex] which can be rewritten as: [itex]p(x)=(x-r_{k+1})a_{k}(x-r_{1})...(x-r_{k})[/itex].

(3) Since we've assumed [itex]P_{k}[/itex] is true, and [itex]P_{k+1}[/itex] was shown to be true previously (I didn't write the statement, but its trivial) - QED (???)

Can anyone give feedback, especially for the step (2).

14. Mar 25, 2012 #13

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to state explicitely, and support,
    "If Pk+1 is a polynomial of degree k+1 and Pk+1(x)= (x- r)Q(x), then Q(x) is a polynomial of degree k".

15. Mar 25, 2012 #14
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook