Proof of a limit involving definition of differentiability

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mrchris
Messages
31
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


let the function f:ℝ→ℝ be differentiable at x=0. Prove that lim x→0
[f(x2)-f(0)]
______________ =0
x


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I am kind of lost on this one, I have tried manipulating the definition of a differentiable function at x=0 and I am not making much progress. I am not just looking for an answer here, this actually a review problem for a test and I am really trying to understand it so any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mrchris said:

Homework Statement


let the function f:ℝ→ℝ be differentiable at x=0. Prove that lim x→0
[f(x2)-f(0)]
______________ =0
x


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I am kind of lost on this one, I have tried manipulating the definition of a differentiable function at x=0 and I am not making much progress. I am not just looking for an answer here, this actually a review problem for a test and I am really trying to understand it so any help would be appreciated.

Try L' Hopital's Rule.
 
I am in an analysis class and we have not yet proved L' Hopital's Rule so I can not use it in this proof.
 
mrchris said:
I am in an analysis class and we have not yet proved L' Hopital's Rule so I can not use it in this proof.

Use the change of variable u=x^2. Now think about the limit as u->0.