1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of distributive and product rule

1. Aug 31, 2014 #1
    1. Prove a) r=(u*v)=r*u+r*v and b) d/dt(r*s)=r*ds/st+dr/dt*s

2. Relevant equations: b) dr/dt=lim t->0=Δr/Δt and Δr=r(t+Δt)-r(t)

3. Attempt at the solution:
    Okay, so I was able to work out part a but I'm not quite sure how to start part b. Could anyone point me toward a useful resource to explain how to approach this problem? I'm not looking for an answer, just a means to an answer.

(* is dot product)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2014 #2
    Are you familiar with a proof of the standard product rule; i.e. the version that says (fg)'=f'g+fg'? The proof of this version shouldn't look significantly different.

4. Aug 31, 2014 #3
    Thank you! I looked it up and you're right, I see where they start with the limit and expand from there. Much appreciated!

5. Aug 31, 2014 #4
    Alright then. The key things you'll want to verify (if you haven't already) are that the algebra $$\mathbf{u}\cdot(\mathbf{v}+\mathbf{w})=\mathbf u\cdot\mathbf v+\mathbf{u}\cdot\mathbf{w},\ \ c(\mathbf{u}\cdot\mathbf{v})=(c\mathbf{u})\cdot\mathbf{v}$$ and calculus
    $$\lim_{t\rightarrow a}\left(\mathbf u(t)+\mathbf v(t)\right)=\lim_{t\rightarrow a}\mathbf u(t)+\lim_{t\rightarrow a}\mathbf v(t), \ \ \lim_{t\rightarrow a}\left(\mathbf u(t)\cdot\mathbf v(t)\right)=\lim_{t\rightarrow a}\mathbf u(t)\cdot\lim_{t\rightarrow a}\mathbf v(t)$$
    work the same with vectors/vector-valued functions as they do with numbers/real-valued functions.

6. Aug 31, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This certainly isn't true! You mean "r*(u+ v)= r*u+ r*v" don't you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted