1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking simple differential product rule

1. Dec 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Saw a calculation that put differentiation of power in terms of acceleration as follows:
    E=Fs
    dE/dt=Fv=P
    dP/dt=Fa=ma^2

It doesn't make sense to me because if power was changing, acceleration must change. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldnt the product rule be applied here?

2. Relevant equations
    If z=xy then
    dz/dt=x(dy/dt)+y(dx/dt)
    F=ma
    E=Fs
    P=F(ds/dt) with s(dF/dt)=0 so it is discarded

3. The attempt at a solution
    Instantaneously
    P=Fs/t=F(ds/dt) provided ds/dt is smaller than c. Now first application of product rule with second diff of position defined as first diff of velocity
    dP/dt=F(dv/dt)+(ds/dt)(dF/dt) since F=ma, subst in and apply product rule again
    dP/dt=ma^2+(ds/dt)[m(da/dt)+a(dm/dt)]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Dec 20, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Valid only for constant force.

dP/dt = Fa is only valid if the force is constant. It can be pulled out from the differentiation then and you get dP/dt=F dv/dt = F a. In case of constant force, the acceleration is also constant, but the power changes with time.
    When the force depends on time or position, apply the product rule.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  5. Dec 21, 2014 #4
    First of all, thank you for the feedback I appreciate the distinction for the first equation and pointing it out for me.
    I must be a bit thick. To me it seems that if acceleration is constant, then energy is being delivered at a constant rate, ie power stays constant and therefore rate of power change should be zero.
    I dont understand how a constant force causing a constant acceleration causes a change in the rate of energy applied. If I drop a ball, force and acceleration and rate of increase of kinetic energy are all constants.

What am I missing here?

6. Dec 21, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are missing the fact that the kinetic energy involves v^2, so its derivative is proportional to v, even when a = dv/dt is constant.

7. Dec 22, 2014 #6
    Thanks mate. I had missed that....so energy rises parabolically, power rises linearly, and change in power is a constant when force and acceleration are constant.

8. Dec 22, 2014 #7
    One last question please? When I applied the product rule above, I ended up with a a(dm/dt) term. Does this have a physical meaning?

9. Dec 22, 2014 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would in a variable-mass problem (eg., rockets). However, in a constant-mass problem you would have dm/dt = 0, so that term would not make a contribution.

10. Dec 22, 2014 #9
    Thanks Ray and Ehild for your indulgence and patience. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and all the staff at physics forum. It's a pleasure becoming that little less ignorant.

11. Dec 22, 2014 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted