How to Integrate a Vector Equation in Physics?

• Thread starter Burnstryk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discussed the integration of a given equation with respect to time. The solution involved using the "multiplication by ##\dot{\textbf{r}}## trick" and integrating each term individually. It was also noted that this technique is commonly used for this type of problem.
Burnstryk

Homework Statement

This is not a homework question, just a general wonderment , how can I integrate the following wrt time?

Homework Equations

[tex]\dot{\textbf{r}}.\ddot{\textbf{r}} +G(m_1 + m_2)\frac{\dot{\textbf{r}}}{r^2} = 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is given as [tex] \frac{1}{2}v^2 - \frac{G(m_1 + m_2)}{r} = C [/tex]

This is to find the vis viva eqn, r represents position vectors

I know that for the second part of the eqn, I integrate dr/dt and get -1/r when considering the r^2, it's the first part I'm having trouble with (scalar product)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get if you differentiate ##\dot{\vec r}^2## with respect to time?

Orodruin said:
What do you get if you differentiate ##\dot{\vec r}^2## with respect to time?

2 * v * a which makes sense, but I was wondering in general if there was a way to integrate a scalar product such as the one shown if the derivative of the solution wasn't so obvious.

The scalar product is nothing but a sum of terms. You can integrate each term individually.

Likes Burnstryk
Burnstryk said:
2 * v * a which makes sense, but I was wondering in general if there was a way to integrate a scalar product such as the one shown if the derivative of the solution wasn't so obvious.

Maybe I know what your problem is. What you posted is already part of the solution - the "multiplcation by ##\dot{\textbf{r}}## trick" is a common integration technique for this type of problem. It is used, because it is known that it leads to an equation which can easily be integrated (because ##\dot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \ddot{\textbf{r}} ## is the derivative of ##\frac{1}{2}v^2##). Therefore, the reasoning is not "I have a scalar product, let's see how to integrate it" but "I know that for this kind of problem, a scalar product with ##\dot{\textbf{r}}## will help me solving it".

In your case, you have (btw, if it is supposed to be Newton's law of gravity, then there is a unit vector missing in your equation)

$$\ddot{\textbf{r}} = -\frac{GM}{r^2}\hat{\textbf{r}}$$,

and multiplication gives you

$$\dot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \ddot{\textbf{r}} = -\frac{GM}{r^2} \dot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \hat{\textbf{r}}$$

which can be easily integated with respect to time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Burnstryk
Orodruin said:
The scalar product is nothing but a sum of terms. You can integrate each term individually.

bluenoise said:
Maybe I know what your problem is. What you posted is already part of the solution - the "multiplcation by ##\dot{\textbf{r}}## trick" is a common integration technique for this type of problem. It is used, because it is known that it leads to an equation which can easily be integrated (because ##\dot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \ddot{\textbf{r}} ## is the derivative of ##\frac{1}{2}v^2##). Therefore, the reasoning is not "I have a scalar product, let's see how to integrate it" but "I know that for this kind of problem, a scalar product with ##\dot{\textbf{r}}## will help me solving it".

In your case, you have (btw, if it is supposed to be Newton's law of gravity, then there is a unit vector missing in your equation)

$$\ddot{\textbf{r}} = -\frac{GM}{r^2}\hat{\textbf{r}}$$,

and multiplication gives you

$$\dot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \ddot{\textbf{r}} = -\frac{GM}{r^2} \dot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \hat{\textbf{r}}$$

which can be easily integated with respect to time.

Thank you both, I understand now.

Related to How to Integrate a Vector Equation in Physics?

1. How can I solve an integral?

Solving an integral involves finding the antiderivative of a function. This can be done using various integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

2. What is the purpose of integration?

The purpose of integration is to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a certain interval. It is also used to solve differential equations and to find the average value of a function.

3. How do I know which integration technique to use?

The integration technique to use depends on the form of the integrand. It is helpful to first simplify the integrand and identify any patterns or familiar functions. This can guide you in choosing the appropriate integration technique.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve an integral?

Yes, there are many calculators and computer programs that can solve integrals numerically. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of integration techniques in order to interpret and verify the results.

5. Are there any tips for solving integrals more efficiently?

One tip is to always check for symmetry in the integrand, as this can often simplify the integration process. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with common integration techniques, as well as to use tables of integrals for reference.