1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Gauss's law using coulomb's law

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    so my book has a point charge q inside an arbitrary surface S and at a point P on the surface S, the electric field is E = q/4(π)(ε0)(r2). so the flux through S is then dΦ = E * dS = q/4(π)(ε0)(r2) * dS = q/4(π)(ε0) * dScosθ /(r2) = q/4(π)(ε0) * dΩ. then my book takes the integral of both sides and ends up with Φ = q/4(π)(ε0) ∫ dΩ = q/4(π)(ε0) (4π) = q/(ε0).

what i don't understand it how did ∫ dΩ become 4π?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It looks like they're not using an arbitrary surface. S is a sphere of radius r, and dS is a small element of area on the sphere. What's [itex]d\Omega[/itex] in terms of [itex]\vartheta[/itex] and [itex]\varphi[/itex] and what are the integration limits for the two variables?

4. Mar 2, 2010 #3
    Actually, you can use an arbitrary surface in this derivation.
    d[tex]\Omega[/tex] is the solid angle subtended by the surface dS at the point where the charge q is placed.
    [tex]\int[/tex]d[tex]\Omega[/tex] is the solid angle subtentded at the charge by the entire surface. it's value is 4[tex]\Pi[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook