Proof of Hamiltonian equations

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equation \frac{\partial H}{\partial q_i} = \dot{p_i} and how it is shown that the first two terms cancel out and the third term is equal to \dot{p_i}. However, when taking the partial derivative of H = \sum \dot{q_i}p_i - L, the resulting equation is different due to the product rule. The conversation then moves on to discussing the technique used to obtain the differential of the Hamiltonian, which only contains differentials of the canonical variables.
Daaavde
So, I should prove that:
[itex]- \frac{\partial H}{\partial q_i} = \dot{p_i}[/itex]
And it is shown that:
[itex]- \frac{\partial H}{\partial q_i} = - p_j \frac{\partial \dot{q_j}}{\partial q_i} + \frac{\partial \dot{q_j}}{\partial q_i} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_j}} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = \dot{p_i}[/itex]
Where the first two terms delete each other [itex](\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_j}} = p_j)[/itex] and the third one is equal to [itex]\dot{p_i}[/itex] because of the Lagrange equation.

The problem is that when I take the partial derivative of [itex]H = \sum \dot{q_i}p_i - L[/itex], I get:
[itex]- \frac{\partial H}{\partial q_i} = - p_j \frac{\partial \dot{q_j}}{\partial q_i} - \dot{q_j} \frac{\partial p_j}{\partial q_i} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = \dot{p_i}[/itex]
Because I derive a product.

Now, my second term is completely different (even the sign doesn't match). Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I can't see how that answers the question.
There are no time derivatives here or maybe I overlooked something.

Ignore the time part. Make sure you understand the technique that yields the differential of the Hamiltonian that only has the differentials of the canonical variables (and time). From that, the partial derivatives w.r.t. canonical variables follow easily.

I would first like to clarify that the Hamiltonian equations are a set of equations that describe the evolution of a dynamical system in terms of its position and momentum variables. The proof of these equations involves the use of the Hamiltonian function, which is defined as H = \sum \dot{q_i}p_i - L, where L is the Lagrangian of the system.

In the provided content, the individual is attempting to prove the first Hamiltonian equation, which states that \frac{\partial H}{\partial q_i} = \dot{p_i}. However, there seems to be some confusion in the derivation of this equation.

The first step in the proof is to take the partial derivative of the Hamiltonian function with respect to the position variable q_i. This is correctly shown in the first part of the provided content. However, in the next step, the individual seems to have made a mistake by taking the partial derivative of the momentum variable p_j with respect to the position variable q_i. This is incorrect because the momentum variable is not a function of the position variable q_i.

The correct way to approach this is to use the chain rule to take the partial derivative of the Hamiltonian function with respect to the position variable q_i. This will give the desired result of \frac{\partial H}{\partial q_i} = - p_j \frac{\partial \dot{q_j}}{\partial q_i} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}.

The second part of the provided content also seems to have an error in the derivation. The individual has taken the partial derivative of the Hamiltonian function with respect to the momentum variable p_j, which is incorrect because the momentum variable is not a function of itself. The correct approach is to use the definition of the Hamiltonian function and the Lagrange equation, which states that \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = \dot{p_i} - \frac{\partial p_i}{\partial t}. This will result in the desired result of \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_i} = \dot{q_i}.

In summary, the proof of the Hamiltonian equations involves careful application of the chain rule and the use of the Lagrange equation. It is important to be mindful of the variables that are being derived with respect to and to use the correct equations in the derivation process.

What is the definition of Hamiltonian equations?

Hamiltonian equations are a set of equations used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a physical system. They are derived from the Hamiltonian function, which is a mathematical representation of the total energy of a system.

Why are Hamiltonian equations important?

Hamiltonian equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for analyzing and predicting the behavior of physical systems. They allow scientists to determine the position and momentum of a system at any given time, and to understand how the system will evolve over time.

How are Hamiltonian equations related to energy conservation?

Hamiltonian equations are directly related to energy conservation in physical systems. This is because the Hamiltonian function represents the total energy of a system, and the equations describe how this energy is conserved and transformed as the system evolves.

What is the difference between Hamiltonian equations and Newton's laws of motion?

Hamiltonian equations and Newton's laws of motion are both used to describe the behavior of physical systems, but they approach the problem from different perspectives. Newton's laws focus on the forces acting on a system, while Hamiltonian equations focus on the energy of the system.

How are Hamiltonian equations used in real-world applications?

Hamiltonian equations have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. They are used in fields such as celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. They are also used in practical applications, such as spacecraft trajectory planning and control of robotic systems.