• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Proof of linear independence and dependence

• Thread starter andorrak
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement

There are two proofs:

Let X and Y be two matrices such that the product XY is defined. Show that if the columns of Y are linearly dependent, then so are the columns of the matrix XY.

Let X and Y be two matrices such that the product XY is defined. Show that if the columns of the matrix XY are linearly independent, then so are the columns of Y

2. Homework Equations
N/A

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Solution for first. i do not know

Solution for second one perhaps?

If XY are assumed to be the identity matrix. Thus we know I = (A^-1)(A)

Therefore, A=X and A^-1=Y. Then we know X^-1=Y. Then by the invertible matrix theorem, the equation Ax=0 has only the trivial solution and must be linearly independent?

Those are my two cents, can anyone help me?

Answers and Replies

lanedance
Homework Helper
for the first part start with
[tex]
Y = \begin{pmatrix} y_1 & .. & y_i .. & y_n \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

[tex] X = \begin{pmatrix} x_1^T \\ .. \\ x_j^T \\.. \\ x_m^T \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

now assume some y_i = a.y_r + b.ys (ie a linearly dependent column vectro for some r,s) and consider the action of the multiplication (each element in XY will correspond to a dot product between the row vector of X and the column vectros of Y)

so what is x^T dot ( a.y_r + b.ys )?

Last edited:
Um could you elaborate? I have no idea what you are saying. sorry

lanedance
Homework Helper
i re-wrote above for clarity & expanded a little

Sorry to sound nagging.

But I still have no idea what you are saying. Or what significance it brings. I am only on chapter 2 of the linear algebra book by Lay. I assumed it had something to do with the invertible matrix theorem

lanedance
Homework Helper
try expaninding this (for arbitrary vectors)

x^T dot ( a.y_r + b.ys )?

what is the dot product? if you could answer it systematically it would be very helpful

O thats just matrix multiplication. but i do not understand your notation, ie this.

try expaninding this (for arbitrary vectors)

x^T dot ( a.y_r + b.ys )?

so i assume x^T is the column for the X matrix. and r and s are the dependent vectors and the those dots between a.y and b.y i assume then are the dot products but where are the a's coming from? the entries of the x matrix?

lanedance
Homework Helper
x_i^T is a row vector of X

say a column vector y_j can be written as a linear combination of other coulmn vectors y_r, y_s, for a,v constants

[tex] y_j = ay_r + a y_s [/tex]

[tex] x_i^T \bullet y_j = x_i^T \bullet (a y_r + b y_s) [/tex]

Last edited:
lanedance
Homework Helper
so consider the jth column of XY
[tex]
XY_j = \begin{pmatrix} x_1^T \bullet y_j\\ .. \\ x_i^T \bullet y_j\\.. \end{pmatrix}

[/tex]

OH i think i get it. because you assume all teh columns of Y are linearly dependent you can show (which is what a and b represent) are t9eh coefficients when you have a linearly combination between the sets. Now when you multiply X^T with it, that is simply a scalar multiple of the one before so it IS STILL a linearly dependent vector.

Correct me if im wrong. thanks!

lanedance
Homework Helper
pretty much, however i would say all you need to assume is there is a linearly dependent column in Y, so you may want to generalise a bit

Yea but the question assumes every column in Y is linearly dependent so im set. thanks again !

lanedance
Homework Helper
Yea but the question assumes every column in Y is linearly dependent so im set. thanks again !
no it doesn't that statement doesn't even make sense

it says "the columns of Y are linearly dependent" this means at least one cloumn can be written as a linear combination of the others