Proof of Power Rule (Definite Integral) for Negative Integers

In summary, this problem is from What is Mathematics?, Chapter 8: "The Calculus", page 409-410. A proof is given for negative integers k, which states that the limit formula, N → k+1, and therefore the result remains valid. However, for any rational k\neq -1, the same limit formula, N → k+1, and therefore the result is not valid. First, the proof is given for negative integers k. Then, if k = \frac {u}{v}, write q^{\frac{1}{v}} = s and N = \frac{s^{k+1} -1}{s^{v} -1} = \frac{s^{u+v
DarrenM
This is not actually a homework problem. Rather, it is a problem from Courant and Robbins' What is Mathematics?, Chapter 8: "The Calculus", page 409-410.

Homework Statement

Prove that for any rational k =/= -1 the same limit formula, N → k+1, and therefore the result:

∫a to b xk dx = bk+1 - ak+1 / k+1 , k any positive integer

remains valid. First give the proof, according to our model, for negative integers k. ... (There is more, but it's subsequent steps and, since I'm having trouble just getting started, I don't think it's relevant.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to get started. That is, I'm not sure how to even introduce "negative integers" into the expression. Someone suggested I try a proof by substitution, allowing j to equal -k, but if k = 2 that takes us right back to the k =/= -1 thing, I think.

A nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I've finally figured out how to use the LaTex stuff on this forum. With that accomplished, the entire exercise that I'm currently obsessing over:

Prove that for any rational k[tex]\neq[/tex] -1 the same limit formula, N → k+1, and therefore the result:

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} x^{k} dx = \frac {b^{k+1} - a^{k+1}} {{k+1}} [/tex]

, k any positive integer

remains valid. First give the proof, according to our model, for negative integers k.Then, if [tex]k = \frac {u}{v}[/tex], write [tex]q^{\frac{1}{v}} = s[/tex] and

[tex]N = \frac{s^{k+1} -1}{s^{v} -1} = \frac{s^{u+v} -1}{s^{v} -1} = \frac{s^{u+v} -1}{s -1} / \frac{s^{v} -1}{s -1} [/tex]

This was the proof that preceded it:

To obtain the integral formula

[tex]
\int_{a}^{b} x^{k} dx = \frac {b^{k+1} - a^{k+1}} {{k+1}}
[/tex]

we form [tex]S_{n}[/tex] by choosing the points of subdivision [tex]x_{0} = a, x_{1}, x_{2}, ... , x_{n} = b[/tex] in geometrical progression. We set the [tex]^{n}\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}} = q[/tex] , so that [tex]\frac{b}{a} = q^{n}[/tex] , and define [tex]x_{0} = a, x_{1} = aq, x_{2} = aq², ... , x_{n} = aq^{n} = b[/tex] . By this device, as we shall see, the passage to the limit becomes very easy. For the "rectangle sum" [tex]S_{n}[/tex] we find, since [tex]f(x_{i}) = x^{k}_{i} = a^{k}q^{ik}[/tex], and [tex]\Delta x = x_{i+1} - x_{i} = aq^{i+1} - aq^{i}[/tex],

[tex]S_{n} = a^{k}(aq - a) + a^{k}q^{k}(aq^{2} - aq) +a^{k}q^{2k}(aq^{3} - aq^{2}) + ... + a^{k}q^{k(n-1)}(aq^{n} - aq^{n-1})[/tex] .

Since each term contains the factor [tex]a^{k}(aq - a)[/tex], we may write

[tex]S_{n} = a^{k+1}(q - 1)[1 + q^{k+1} + q^{2(k+1)} + ... + q^{(n-1)(k+1)}][/tex] .

Substituting [tex]t[/tex] for [tex]q^{k+1}[/tex] we see that the expression in braces is the geometrical series [tex]1 + t + t^{2} + ... + t^{(n-1)}[/tex] , whose sum is [tex]\frac{t^{n} - 1}{t -1}[/tex] . But [tex]t^{n} = q^{n(k+1)} = (\frac {b}{a})^{k+1} = \frac{b^{k+1}}{a^{k+1}}[/tex] . Hence,

[tex]S_{n} = (q - 1) [\frac {b^{k+1} - a^{k+1}}{q^{k+1} - 1}] = \frac {b^{k+1} - a^{k+1}}{N}[/tex]

where [tex]N = \frac{q^{k+1} -1}{q -1} [/tex] .

Thus far, n has been a fixed number. Now we shall let n increase, and determine the limit of N. As n increases, the [tex]^{n}\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}} = q [/tex] will tend to 1, and therefore both numerator and denominator of N will tend to zero, which makes caution necessary. Suppose first that k is a positive integer; then the division of q -1 can be carried out, and we obtain [tex]N = q^{k} + q^{k-1} + ... + q + 1[/tex] . If now n increases, q tends to 1 and hence [tex]q^{2}, q^{3}, ... , q^{k} [/tex] will also tend to 1, so that N approaches k+1. But this shows that [tex]S_{n}[/tex] tends to [tex]\frac {b^{k+1} - a^{k+1}} {{k+1}}[/tex] , which was to be proved.

I think to go to negative n they want you to do the change of variable u=1/x. Just a hunch.

1. What is the power rule for definite integrals with negative integers?

The power rule for definite integrals with negative integers states that if the power of x in the integrand is a negative integer, then the integral can be evaluated by taking the negative reciprocal of the power and adding 1 to it. This result is then multiplied by the integrand and divided by the new power.

2. How is the proof of the power rule for definite integrals with negative integers derived?

The proof of the power rule for definite integrals with negative integers can be derived using the fundamental theorem of calculus and the definition of the definite integral. By breaking down the integral into smaller intervals and using the power rule for definite integrals with positive exponents, the proof can be constructed step by step.

3. Can the power rule for definite integrals be applied to all negative integers?

Yes, the power rule for definite integrals can be applied to all negative integers. This includes negative integers that are even, odd, or zero. However, the integrand must be continuous and defined over the given interval for the rule to be applicable.

4. How does the power rule for definite integrals with negative integers differ from that of positive integers?

The power rule for definite integrals with negative integers is similar to that of positive integers, except for the fact that the power is negative. This means that the resulting integral will have a logarithmic term in addition to the power term. Also, the limits of integration may need to be switched depending on the sign of the power.

5. What are some practical applications of the proof of the power rule for definite integrals with negative integers?

The power rule for definite integrals with negative integers is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields where integration is necessary. It can be applied to problems involving rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration, as well as in finding the area under a curve. It also has applications in probability and statistics, particularly in the calculation of cumulative distribution functions.