Proof of Quotient Rule using Product Rule

In summary, the conversation was about understanding the quotient rule and how it is derived. The question was asked about the steps involved and someone pointed out that it involves multiplying by ##1 = \frac{h(x)}{h(x)}##. The poster apologized for posting in the wrong section and thanked Zondrina for moving the thread. Another person added that the image posted was too wide and suggested cropping or shrinking it in the future. The conversation ended with a thank you to everyone involved.
gomess
Hey guys, just trying to understand how the quotient rule is derived, so I head over to wikipedia and saw this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68783&stc=1&d=1397845277.jpg

But I'm having some difficulty understanding what goes on between these two steps:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68784&stc=1&d=1397845277.jpg

Could someone shed some light on this?

Attachments

• quo1.jpg
    quo1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 4,226
  • quo2.jpg
    quo2.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 648
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like they are multiplying by ##1 = \frac{h(x)}{h(x)}##

Oh, okay. Cant believe I didnt see that; it was so simple. Sorry to whoever moved my thread for posting in wrong the section. Thanks Zondrina!

I moved it. This seemed more like a technical question than homework, so I move it here.

Also, what Zondrina said is exactly what happened - they multiplied by 1 in the form of h(x) over itself.

Also, if you post images again, crop or shrink them so that they fit. 900 pixels wide is about the maximum - yours is 1071 pixels wide, so causes the post to be too wide.

Alright, no problem. Thanks again guys.

What is the quotient rule?

The quotient rule is a formula for finding the derivative of a quotient of two functions. It is used when taking the derivative of a function that is expressed as the ratio of two other functions.

How is the quotient rule derived?

The quotient rule is derived from the product rule and the chain rule. By rewriting the quotient as a product, the product rule can be applied to find the derivative. Then, using the chain rule, the derivative of the denominator function is multiplied by the original denominator function to complete the quotient rule formula.

Why is the quotient rule important?

The quotient rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of functions that are expressed as a quotient. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as economics, physics, and engineering.

What is the proof of the quotient rule using the product rule?

The proof of the quotient rule using the product rule involves rewriting the quotient as a product, finding the derivatives of the individual functions using the product rule, and then simplifying the result. This proof shows that the quotient rule is a valid method for finding the derivative of a quotient function.

Are there any limitations to the quotient rule?

Yes, the quotient rule can only be applied when the denominator function is not equal to zero. If the denominator function is equal to zero, the quotient rule cannot be used to find the derivative. In this case, an alternative method, such as the limit definition of the derivative, must be used.