1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of sin(θ-Φ)=sinθcosΦ-cosθsinΦ using vector algebra

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data given two unit vectors a= cosθi + sinθi b=cosΦi+sinΦj prove that sin(θ-Φ)=sinθcosΦ-cosΦsinθ using vector algebra

2. Relevant equations sin(θ-Φ)=sinθcosΦ-cosΦsinθ

3. The attempt at a solution axb= (cosθsinΦ-cosΦsinθ)k and I'm guessing that the change in sign has something to do with the fact that k is perpendicular to the vectors I'm usingΦ-θ

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You could try a suitable rotation of axes, so that the cross product should still look the same.

4. Nov 7, 2015 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The vectors a and b have zero "z" component. Remember how the components of the cross product are calculated.

5. Nov 8, 2015 #4
    when I calculated the components I got axb = ( cosθi +sinθj )x(cosΦi + sinΦj) axb=cosθcosΦixi + cosθsinΦixj +sinθcosΦjxi +sinθsinΦjxj ixi=1x1xsino=0 jxjxsin0=0 ixj=1x1sin90=1 and jxi=-1 because AxB=-BxA and was then left with axb= cosθsinΦ(1) + sinθcosΦ(-1)=cosθsinΦ -sinθcosΦ but its supposed to be the other way around, I dont understand where I'm going wrong :(

6. Nov 8, 2015 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think of the other definition of the cross product, how to get its direction applying right-had rule, so sin(θ-φ)=bxa.
    https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/vectors-cross-product.html

7. Nov 8, 2015 #6
    oh I think I get it now so what your saying is although I could find axb and get the answer I got first , I could just as easily choose bxa as they're both the same but have opposite signs and so it still satisfies the proof.

8. Nov 8, 2015 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The correct one is bxa.

9. Nov 8, 2015 #8
    Isn't (i + j) X (i + j) = j X i + i X j)
    What is the sign of j X i ?

10. Nov 8, 2015 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

minus. Why do you ask? It was correct in Post#4.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted