Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Taylor's formula for polynomials

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    My book reads as follows:

"This is an entirely elementary algebraic formula concerning a polynomial in x or order n, say
    [tex] f(x) = a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + ... + a_nx^n [/tex].

If we replace x by a + h = b and expand each term in powers of h, there results immediately a representation of the form [tex] f(a+h) = c_0 = c_1h + c_2h^2 + ... + c_nh^n [/tex].

Taylor's formula is the relation: [tex] c_v = \frac{1}{v!}f^v(a) [/tex], for the coefficients c_v in terms of f and its derivatives at x = a. To prove this fact we consider the quantity h = b - a as the independent variable, and apply the chain rule which shows that differentiation with respect to h is the same as differentiation with respect to b = a + h."

I don't get how f'(h) = f'(a + h)?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2009 #2
    I think it's saying that if you have f'(h) and want f'(h+a), just substitute in h+a where you see h to get f'(h+a). This works because [tex]\frac{d}{dh} h+a = 1[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook