1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof regarding linear functionals

1. May 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be a vector space over R. let Φ1, Φ2 ∈ V* (the duel space) and suppose σ:V→R, defined by σ(v)=Φ1(v)Φ2(v), also belongs to V*. Show that either Φ1 = 0 or Φ2 = 0.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since σ is also an element of the duel space, it is linear, so σ(v+u)=σ(v)+σ(u). Translating both sides into terms of Φ1 and Φ[SUB}2[/SUB], I came up with the equation
    (1) Φ1(v)Φ2(u)+Φ1(u)Φ2(v)=0.

Doing the same with σ(av+bu) and plugging in equation (1) produced the equation
    (2) a2Φ1(v)Φ2(v)+b2Φ1(u)Φ2(u)=aΦ1(v)Φ2(v)+bΦ1(u)Φ2

This is where I got stuck, perhaps there is a trick I am not seeing to this equation or perhaps I approached this the wrong way. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're on the right track. Go back to equation (1) and try ##u = v##.

4. May 13, 2017 #3
    I see, thank you for the help, I solved it.

5. May 13, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure?

6. May 13, 2017 #5
    I think so. Plugging in u=v into Φ1(v)Φ2(u)+Φ1(u)Φ2(v)=0 resulted in Φ1(v)Φ2(v)+Φ1(v)Φ2(v)=0, meaning Φ1(v)Φ2(v)=0. Since these are elements of a field, it means either Φ1(v)=0 or Φ2(v)=0, and since v is arbitrary, this means either Φ1=0 or Φ2=0.

7. May 13, 2017 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guessed that is what you had done! What you have shown there is:

##\forall \ v: \ \Phi_1(v) = 0## or ##\Phi_2(v) = 0## (Equation 3)

That means that for some ##v## it could be ##\Phi_1(v) = 0## and for some other ##v## it could be ##\Phi_2(v) = 0##. But, you haven't shown that either ##\Phi_1 = 0## or ##\Phi_2 = 0##.

So, there is still work to do. Let me help with the next step. Suppose ##\Phi_1 \ne 0##. We have to show that then ##\Phi_2 = 0##.

Can you use equations (1) and (3) to do this?

8. May 13, 2017 #7
    I see. So let us assume Φ1≠0, Then it means there exists w∈V such that Φ1(w)≠0, let us denote the set of all such vectors with S. since for every vector v∈V Φ1(v) is either 0 or not 0, V=S∪Ker(Φ1).We plug one of these (arbitrary) w into equation 3 and get Φ1(w)Φ2(w)=0, since Φ1(w)≠0, it means Φ2(w)=0. And since this applies to every w∈S, it means Φ2(S)=0.

Now we must show that Φ2(u)=0 ∀u∈Ker(Φ1). Let us take an arbitrary vector u from Ker(Φ1) and plug it in equation 1 along with another vector w∈S: Φ1(u)Φ2(w)+Φ1(w)Φ2(u)=0. Since u∈Ker(Φ1), Φ1(u)Φ2(w)=0. Thus, Φ1(w)Φ2(u)=0, and since Φ1(w)≠0 by definition, this means Φ2(u)=0 ∀u∈Ker(Φ1).

Combining these two results give us Φ2(v)=0 ∀v∈V, and so Φ2=0. Doing the same process by assuming Φ2≠0 produces the result Φ1=0.

9. May 13, 2017 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't see any mistakes there, although your solution is more complicated than I was expecting. If I pick up your proof from here:

Then, I would use equation 3 to note that ##\Phi_2(w) = 0## and hence (from equation 1) we have:

##\forall v \in V: \ \Phi_1(w)\Phi_2(v) = 0##

Hence ##\forall v \in V: \ \Phi_2(v) = 0##

And the result follows.

Note also that there is no need to repeat the process for ##\Phi_2##. If ##\Phi_1 = 0##, then we are done. And, if ##\Phi_1 \ne 0## we have shown that ##\Phi_2 = 0##. In either case, one of the functionals must be ##0##. And, there is no need to do any more.

10. May 13, 2017 #9
    Assume that both functions ##\Phi_1,\Phi_2## are not equal to zero identically. Then there exist a vector ##v## such that ##\Phi_1(v)\Phi_2(v)\ne 0##.
    So that ##\sigma(\lambda v)=\lambda^2\Phi_1(v)\Phi_2(v)\Longrightarrow \sigma( v)=\lambda\Phi_1(v)\Phi_2(v),\quad \forall\lambda\ne 0##
    This is possible if only ##\Phi_1(v)\Phi_2(v)=0## Contradiction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted