1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof regarding property of continuity

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if f(x) satisfies the functional equation f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) and if f is continous then f(x) = cx for some constant c.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Assume |f(a)| > |ca| for some a in the domain of f. Since f is continuous at every point then for every e > 0 we can find a d > 0 such that |f(x) - f(x+a)| < e whenever |x - (x+a)| < d.
    We have |f(x) - (f(x) + f(a)| = |-f(a)| = |f(a)| < e whenever |a| < d. Since |ca| < f(a)| < e then |ca| < e, implying that |a| < e/|c|. Thus we can take d = e/|c|, implying that
    |c|d = e. Now, since d would be points on the x axis and e points on the y axis, then we have y = |c|x, or f(x) = cx for all x in the domain of f. However, we said that |f(a)| > |ca|. So this is a contradiction.

If we assume |f(a)| < |ca| for some a in the domain of f, then we have again |f(a)| < e whenever |a| < d. However, we don't know if |f(a)| < |ca| < e or |f(a)| < e < |ca|. If it's |f(a)| < |ca| < e then we can continuous with our proof using the same argument as before. If it's |f(a)| < e < |ca| then we can't. However, the function g(x) = cx is also continuous for all x and so we have |f(a)| < |ca| < e'. Then |a| < e'/|c| and we can choose d = e'|c|, implying that |c|d = e', implying that |c|x = y = f(x). This is again a contradiction, so therefore |f(x)| = |cx|. So if f(x) > 0 then f(x) = cx. And if f(x) < 0 then -f(x) = -(cx), implying that f(x) = cx. Therefore f(x) = cx. QED

Is this a valid proof? I found the question difficult so I want to make sure that the proof is correct.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2
    The reason why I think my proof is not valid is because the assumption is that for some x = a, with a < d, we have f(a) < ca and f(a) > ca. Since a is less then d, then it's okay if |c|d = e. But on the other hand, the equation |c|d = e must hold for every positive d, and if d is negative, we have |c|(-d) = -e, also, it is easy to prove that f(0) = 0 for this function, so shouldn't the whole function also be f(x) = |c|x?
  4. Oct 13, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't really read your proof, because it looks like it's overly complicated. This problem is simpler than that. You said you noticed that f(0)=0. Try proving that in fact f(nx)=nf(x) for every integer n (positive and negative). Then use this to prove that f(rx)=rf(x) for every rational r. Finally, use the density of the rationals.

Of course all of this is assuming f is defined from R into R.
  5. Oct 13, 2008 #4
    Assuming f is defined in the appropriate domain:
    If f(a) is not zero for some a (otherwise we are done).
    What is [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{f(a/n)}{a/n}[/tex]?

What does that tell us about [tex]\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(h)}{h}[/tex]?

Finally, can we determine if f'(x) exists and what it is?
  6. Oct 13, 2008 #5
    It seems that the continuity of the function is not needed in such proof? I'm not sure if I miss something...
  7. Oct 13, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need the continuity to go from f(rx)=rf(x) for all rational r to all real r.
  8. Oct 13, 2008 #7
    yea... I got it now. it needs the continuity to have [tex]f(x)=lim_{rational r->x}f(r)=lim_{r->x}rf(1)=xf(1).[/tex]
  9. Oct 13, 2008 #8
    Morphism, thanks for the help. I managed to prove f(nx) = nf(x), now I'm working on it for f(rx) = rf(x). I'll post up my proof tomorrow as tonight is thanks giving (over here in Canada at least) and I'll be busy all night.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?