1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that a given subspace of C[−1,1] with L2 norm is closed

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let H= C[-1,1] with L^2 norm and consider G={f belongs to H| f(1) = 0}. Show that G is a closed subspace of H.

2. Relevant equations

L^2 inner product: [tex]<f,g>\to \int_{-1}^{1}f(t)\overline{g(t)} dt[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been trying to prove this for a while but i can't establish that given [tex]||f_{n}-f||< \epsilon[/tex] (where the norm is the L^2 one) we have uniform convergence for the sequence [tex](f_{n})[/tex]If I could prove this the result would follow easily given that G is contained in its closure and if [tex](f_{n})[/tex] converged uniformly we would have [tex]f(1)=\lim_{x \to 1} \lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)=\lim_{n \to \infty} \lim_{x \to 1} f_n=0[/tex] and thus that f belongs G

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You won't be able to show uniform convergence.

Try to prove it by contradiction. Assume that [itex]f(1)\neq 0[/itex].

4. Feb 28, 2013 #3
    Hmm, if [tex]f(1)\neq 0[/tex] then [tex]f(t)-f_n(t) \neq 0[/tex] in a open interval around one.
    But shouldn't it be possible to have a [tex]f_n[/tex] as close as possible to f(t) until 1-1/n say and then decrease linearly to zero? I know this function in particular is discontinuous in the n to infinity limit but can you give me a hint of how i prove it must me discontinuous for all possible [tex]f_n[/tex]

5. Feb 28, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This function [itex]f_n[/itex] that you mention converges to [itex]f[/itex]. Remember that you're dealing with the integral norm. The integral norm behaves very strangely.

But let's proceed naively. We know [itex]f_n\rightarrow f[/itex]. We assumed [itex]f(1)\neq 0[/itex]. And we know that [itex]f_n(1)=0[/itex].

Can you use continuity to find a point [itex]x_n[/itex] such that [itex]f(x_n)[/itex] is "far away" from 0. But [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]f_n[/itex] are closed in the L2-norm. Can you use this to say anything about the [itex]x_n[/itex]?? It seems reasonably that [itex]x_n[/itex] is rather close to 1. Can you give a formula for how close?

6. Feb 28, 2013 #5
    Hmm, i see it now. I was confusing norms. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted