Proof that e is irrational using Taylor series

In summary, the equality ##e = \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{1}{k!} + e^\theta \frac{1}{(n+1)!}## with ##0< \theta < 1## leads to the inequality ##0 < n!e-a_n<\frac{e}{n+1}## where ##a_n## is a natural number. This can be used to show that ##e## is irrational by setting ##e=p/q## and ##n=q##, and showing that ##\frac{e}{q+1}<1## holds for all natural numbers ##q \ge 2##.
Incand

Homework Statement

Using the equality ##e = \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{1}{k!} + e^\theta \frac{1}{(n+1)!}## with ##0< \theta < 1##, show the inequality ##0 < n!e-a_n<\frac{e}{n+1}## where ##a_n## is a natural number.
Use this to show that ##e## is irrational.
(Hint: set ##e=p/q## and ##n=q##)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I manage to do the first part. Multiply both sides with ##n!##
##n!e = \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n!}{k!} + \frac{e^\theta}{n+1}##
Setting ##\theta = 0## and ##\theta=1## respectively we have the inequality
##0 < n!e-a_n<\frac{e}{n+1}## with ##a_n = \frac{n!}{k!}##.

For the second part assume ##e= \frac{p}{q}## where ##p,q## are natural numbers without a common divisor (except 1).
Set ##n=q## in the above inequality
##0 < q!\frac{p}{q}-a_q < \frac{p}{q(q+1)}##
Since ##q,p## and ##q+1## is positive we can multiply (divide) by these
##0 < (q+1)(q!-qa_q/p)< 1##
My hopes at this point would be to have an integer in the middle and hence get a contradiction (since there is no integers between 0 and 1), but that ##p## is in the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Incand said:

Homework Statement

Using the equality ##e = \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{1}{k!} + e^\theta \frac{1}{(n+1)!}## with ##0< \theta < 1##, show the inequality ##0 < n!e-a_n<\frac{e}{n+1}## where ##a_n## is a natural number.
Use this to show that ##e## is irrational.
(Hint: set ##e=p/q## and ##n=q##)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I manage to do the first part. Multiply both sides with ##n!##
##n!e = \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n!}{k!} + \frac{e^\theta}{n+1}##
Setting ##\theta = 0## and ##\theta=1## respectively we have the inequality
##0 < n!e-a_n<\frac{e}{n+1}## with ##a_n = \frac{n!}{k!}##.

For the second part assume ##e= \frac{p}{q}## where ##p,q## are natural numbers without a common divisor (except 1).
Set ##n=q## in the above inequality
##0 < q!\frac{p}{q}-a_q < \frac{p}{q(q+1)}##
Since ##q,p## and ##q+1## is positive we can multiply (divide) by these
##0 < (q+1)(q!-qa_q/p)< 1##
My hopes at this point would be to have an integer in the middle and hence get a contradiction (since there is no integers between 0 and 1), but that ##p## is in the way.
From ##0 < q!\frac{p}{q}-a_q < \frac{p}{q(q+1)}##, you get
##0<p(q-1)!-a_q<\frac{e}{q+1}##.
I you could show that ##\frac{e}{q+1}<1##, you are done.

Likes Incand
Samy_A said:
If you could show that ##\frac{e}{q+1}<1##, you are done.

Thanks! We know that ##2 < e < 3## (this is easy to prove using the limit definition of e). If ##q \ge 2## then the inequality is obviously true since ##e < 3## and hence we have a contradiction.

The case for ##q=1## means we have a natural number so it's enough to show it for ##q \ge 2## as above.

Likes Samy_A

1. What is the concept of irrationality in mathematics?

In mathematics, an irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that it cannot be written as a fraction in the form a/b, where a and b are integers and b is not equal to 0.

2. How is the number "e" defined in mathematics?

The number "e" is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is the base of the natural logarithm and is commonly used in mathematical and scientific calculations.

3. What is a Taylor series and how is it used to prove the irrationality of "e"?

A Taylor series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point. By using the Taylor series expansion of the exponential function, it can be shown that "e" cannot be expressed as a rational number.

4. What is the significance of proving that "e" is irrational?

Proving that "e" is irrational is significant because it adds to our understanding of the number and its properties. It also has practical applications in fields such as calculus, where "e" is used to model continuous growth and decay.

5. Are there other methods to prove the irrationality of "e"?

Yes, there are other methods to prove the irrationality of "e", such as using the continued fraction expansion of "e" or using the properties of the natural logarithm. However, the Taylor series method is one of the most commonly used and well-known proofs.