1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof Theory for all real numbers

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Proof Theory for all real numbers

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a and b are real numbers, we define max {a, b} to be the maximum of a and b or the common value if they are equal.

Prove that for all real numbers d, d1, d2, x, If d = max {d1, d2} and x ≥ d, then x ≥ d1 and x ≥ d2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I do not know how to even start this problem, i have a small feeling that this exercise has something in relation with the "Logic and propositional calculus topic" but i have not find out were to link it. Any hint or good start will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why in the world is this in "Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology"? Looks like a straightforward math problem to me. First, we have, from the definition, [itex]max(d_1,d_2)\ge d1[/itex] and [itex]max(d_1,d_2)\ge d2[/itex]. It follows immediately that if [itex]x\ge max(d1,d2)[/itex] then [itex]x\ge d1[/itex] and [itex]x\ge d2[/itex].
  4. Mar 25, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much "HallsofIvy" i put it here since its a "Computer Science Class" at my college, I am currently studying "Computer Engineer" and i have to take this class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?