1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof using mainly classical mechanics

1. Mar 3, 2012 #1
    Hey,

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/407/25944209.jpg [Broken]
    [itex]\begin{align}
    & \frac{m{{v}^{2}}}{r}=\frac{Z{{e}^{2}}}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{r}^{2}}} \\
    & L=\frac{Z{{e}^{2}}}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}v} \\
    \end{align}[/itex]

and I know by using the v derived using Bohr's equations it will give the answer but that v is derived using L=nh so it's not that simple.

I can't figure out how to quantize L without breeching the conditions of the question. Would anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advanced

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2012 #2
    You want to quantise L without using any premises of quantum mechanics?

4. Mar 3, 2012 #3
    Haha, that's what's messing this up for me, that's how I've been thinking, I don't see how you can get a result like that using means that don't agree with the result.

There's a few results I just found which I can use,

[itex]E=-\frac{hR}{{{n}^{2}}};\frac{{{\left| E \right|}^{3}}}{{{\omega }^{2}}}=\frac{{{Z}^{2}}m{{\alpha }^{4}}}{8}=\frac{R{{h}^{3}}}{16{{\pi }^{2}}}=\operatorname{Constant},\alpha =\frac{{{e}^{2}}}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}}[/itex]

At first glance the first equation looks like the most useful but h and n and inversely related, and I can't shake the squared on the n.

5. Mar 3, 2012 #4
    If you're using only classical ideas, where did the n and the h come from in E?

6. Mar 3, 2012 #5
    It was derived using Ritz principal and Rydbergs formula

[itex]{{E}_{n}}-{{E}_{m}}=h\,{{v}_{nm}}[/itex]

λ-1=[itex]R\left( \frac{1}{{{m}^{2}}}-\frac{1}{{{n}^{2}}} \right)[/itex]

So I'm trying to find a way to quantize L using classical mechanics in conjunction with the results I posted before

7. Mar 4, 2012 #6
    I'm having trouble deriving

[itex]E=-\frac{hR}{{{n}^{2}}}[/itex]

as well,

This is what I've been doing,
    [itex]\begin{align}
    & \frac{1}{\lambda }=R\left( \frac{1}{{{m}^{2}}}-\frac{1}{{{n}^{2}}} \right) \\
    & \frac{ch}{\lambda }=vh=E=chR\left( \frac{1}{{{m}^{2}}}-\frac{1}{{{n}^{2}}} \right) \\
    & E=-chR\left( \frac{1}{{{n}^{2}}} \right) \\
    \end{align}[/itex]

It's supposed to be the ionization energy, so the 1/m disappears because you take the limit as m -> infinity

Not sure how to get rid of the c

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook