Proofs: Absolute Values and Inequalities

In summary, the conversation discusses the general approach to proofs involving absolute values and inequalities and whether or not to use case-wise reasoning. It also mentions a specific problem from Spivak's Calculus and the use of the triangle inequality in solving it. Ultimately, it is suggested to not focus on breaking out every special case and instead focus on proving the triangle inequality itself.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I am wondering if the general approach to these proofs involving absolute values and inequalities is to do them case-wise? Is that the typical approach (unless pf course you see some 'trick')? For example, I have:

Prove that if

|x-xo| < ε/2 and Prove that if |y-yo| < ε/2,

then

|(x+y)-(xo+yo)| < ε

|(x-y)-(xo-yo)| < ε.

It seems like there are way too many cases, but maybe that's just the way it is. For cases, I see:

x=0, y=0

0 ≤ x, y≤0

oh jeesh ... forget listing them. I am now seeing that there are cases when xo is greater than or less than x (though I have a feeling that xo is supposed to be smaller than x and a positive number, but he (Spivak) did not specify...nor did he specify that ε > 0 though I think that it should be. Seems like these are gearing up for ε-δ proofs.

Anyone have any thoughts on any of these points? This is problem 1.20 from Spivak's Calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:

Homework Statement

I am wondering if the general approach to these proofs involving absolute values and inequalities is to do them case-wise? Is that the typical approach (unless pf course you see some 'trick')? For example, I have:

Prove that if

|x-xo| < ε/2 and Prove that if |y-yo| < ε/2,

then

|(x+y)-(xo+yo)| < ε

|(x-y)-(xo-yo)| < ε.

It seems like there are way too many cases, but maybe that's just the way it is. For cases, I see:

x=0, y=0

0 ≤ x, y≤0

oh jeesh ... forget listing them. I am now seeing that there are cases when xo is greater than or less than x (though I have a feeling that xo is supposed to be smaller than x and a positive number, but he (Spivak) did not specify...nor did he specify that ε > 0 though I think that it should be. Seems like these are gearing up for ε-δ proofs.

Anyone have any thoughts on any of these points? This is problem 1.20 from Spivak's Calculus.

|(x-x0)+(y-y0)|<=|x-x0|+|y-y0|. It's called the triangle inequality.

Last edited:
Dick said:
|(x-x0)+(y-y0)|<=|x-x0|+|y-y0|. It's called the triangle inequality.

Hi Dick :smile: I see that it works for one, I need to look at the (-) case a little more to see how it works for that one.

But tell me: How many cases are there if I did not use the triangle inequality? I think I was going overboard in the OP. I need to look at when:

1. x0+y0 < x+y < 0

2. x0+y0 > x+y <0

3. x0+y0 < x+y > 0

4. x0+y0 > x+y > 0

5. x0+y0 > 0 > x+y

6. x0+y0 < 0 < x+y

Am I missing anything? Sorry if it seems like I am beating a dead horse, but I never really got good at these and would like to fix that now.

Thanks again.

You are fussing around about nothing. Just try to prove the triangle inequality using cases. Then call it a dead horse. Then you don't need to break every special case of it out into cases.

Dick said:
You are fussing around about nothing. Just try to prove the triangle inequality using cases. Then call it a dead horse. Then you don't need to break every special case of it out into cases.

Bah humbug to you too.

Saladsamurai said:
Bah humbug to you too.

Sorry to rain on your parade of special cases. You'll thank me one day.

1. What is the definition of absolute value?

Absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance of a number from 0 on a number line. It is denoted by two vertical bars surrounding the number, and always results in a positive value.

2. How do you solve an absolute value equation?

To solve an absolute value equation, you must isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the equation. Then, you can rewrite the equation as two separate equations, one with a positive value and one with a negative value. Solve both equations to find the possible solutions.

3. What is the difference between an absolute value equation and an absolute value inequality?

An absolute value equation has an equal sign, while an absolute value inequality has an inequality sign, such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. Solving an absolute value inequality involves finding all values that satisfy the inequality, rather than just a single solution.

4. Can absolute value be negative?

No, absolute value is always positive. The absolute value of a negative number is the positive version of that number.

5. How do you graph absolute value functions?

To graph an absolute value function, first plot the vertex of the function, which is the point where the absolute value expression equals 0. Then, plot points on either side of the vertex by substituting different x-values into the function. Connect the points with a V-shaped curve.