Prove a limit using epsilon-delta definition

Yes, it is true that the concept of limits may not be difficult to understand, but the calculations involved in proving them can be challenging. This is why students are given many exercises to practice and solidify their understanding. Additionally, limits are crucial in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus and analysis, so it is important for students to have a strong understanding of them.Furthermore, even though the example given in the conversation may seem simple, it is important to learn the process of proving a limit using the epsilon-delta definition. This process can be applied to more complex functions and is a fundamental skill in mathematical analysis.
member 587159

Homework Statement

Proof that:

##\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{1}{1+x} = \frac{1}{2}##

using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

(Problem below)

Homework Equations

##\lim_{x \to 1} \frac{1}{1+x} = \frac{1}{2} \iff \forall ε>0, \existsδ>0, \forall x ∈ \mathbb{R}\backslash\{-1\}: 0 < |x-1| < δ \Rightarrow |\frac{1}{1+x} - \frac{1}{2}|<ε##

The Attempt at a Solution

Draft[/B]
So, I have to find δ(ε) such that:

##|x-1| < δ \Rightarrow |\frac{1}{1+x} - \frac{1}{2}|<ε##
and, after simplifying I got:
##|\frac{1}{1+x} - \frac{1}{2}|<ε \Rightarrow |x-1| < ε|2x+2|##

Now, I chose ##δ = 1##, then ##|x-1| < 1##, thus ##2< 2x + 2 < 6##. So I decided to take ##δ = min\{1,6ε\}##

Proof

We take ε arbitrary and we choose ##δ = min\{1,6ε\}##

Case 1: δ = 1, then 6ε > 1 as ##δ = min\{1,6ε\}##.
We then have, ##|x-1|<δ \Rightarrow |x-1| < 1 \Rightarrow |x-1| < 6ε \Rightarrow \frac{|x-1|}{6} < ε##

Now, here comes the problem. I wanted to use that ##6>|2x + 2|## (this result was obtained in the draft). However, when I would do this, the total fraction will become larger (as the denominator becomes smaller), and it would be possible that the inequality does not hold anymore. I got a similar problem with case 2. I'm learning this on my own, so it is possible that I'm totally wrong. Thank you for helping me in advance. Also, posting in Latex for the first time. Any hints on this matter would also be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 6 ε are too large, you'll need something smaller.
There is no need to include prefactors larger than one in general. It does not improve anything, it just makes the inequalities harder to satisfy.

Likes member 587159
How can I find what delta is better to pick?

Math_QED said:
How can I find what delta is better to pick?

You started off well, but then you took a wrong turn. Try starting from:

##|\frac{1}{1+x} - \frac{1}{2}| = |\frac{1-x}{2(1+x)}|##

Also, in these proofs, I would leave out the epsilons and deltas until I'm ready. Bringing them in at the start is not always a good idea.

Likes member 587159
Yes I think you just calculated |x - 1| when correct calculation would have given you |1 - x| .

But I want to ask the professional mathematicians and teachers here, it seems to me this shows something.

Firstly this concept of limits is supposed to be a difficult one OK? And that is the reason in order to get it across, students are made to do tons and tons of exercises on it. But actually it looks to me that really their difficulty is usually not concepts of limits, but the ordinary algebraic manipulations in doing these calculations! As in this case. Whether then they 'get it' in a way that stays as a result of that drilling I don't know, do you?

And look at this – above you have an expression which is obviously ½ when x = 1 There is nothing peculiar about it. It is not looking like 0/0 or anything weird like that. Can you make students who are going to be at most ornery users of math like engineers plough through this? Which seems a bit too much of a hoo-ha to me.

Ah but, I expect you will say this is just to get them used to easy examples and then we will present them with some things that are weird and do look like 0/0. Except that then, as I said, you get the students going crazy on the supposedly easy examples! Maybe things like
(sin x)/x are a bit more fun. But that I can think of, even those who go on to be regular users of math are rarely going to meet these things. In fact that I can recall there is only one place a lot of people meet it usually, that is in the basic thing of calculus where you say (lim δx →0 of) [f(x + δx) - f(x)]/δx and top and bottom do look to be 0. But then for generations I think that one was explained in just minutes, part of one lesson, and people took it in their stride.

Maybe you could say that limits come a bit more into their own with sums of infinite series - okay it may not be strictly quite right to say they ever add up to something and you should say is their sum has that number as limit. But I mean to say even this is such a big deal?

When I was at school, mnya mnyah, I don't remember we had any of this except the above examples. At my one math year in university we did, and it wasn't any problem for me. And just because of the relief of a thing which wasn't a problem I never questioned it. But if people do have a big problem then perhaps we should?

Just askin'. :olduhh:

epenguin said:
Yes I think you just calculated |x - 1| when correct calculation would have given you |1 - x| .
|x - 1| and |1 - x| are equal for all values of x.
epenguin said:
But I want to ask the professional mathematicians and teachers here, it seems to me this shows something.

Firstly this concept of limits is supposed to be a difficult one OK? And that is the reason in order to get it across, students are made to do tons and tons of exercises on it. But actually it looks to me that really their difficulty is usually not concepts of limits, but the ordinary algebraic manipulations in doing these calculations! As in this case. Whether then they 'get it' in a way that stays as a result of that drilling I don't know, do you?
If you're proving the limit of a function whose graph is a straight line, the proof is pretty easy. As soon as there's a curve involved, things get more difficult.
epenguin said:
And look at this – above you have an expression which is obviously ½ when x = 1 There is nothing peculiar about it. It is not looking like 0/0 or anything weird like that. Can you make students who are going to be at most ornery users of math like engineers plough through this? Which seems a bit too much of a hoo-ha to me.

Ah but, I expect you will say this is just to get them used to easy examples and then we will present them with some things that are weird and do look like 0/0. Except that then, as I said, you get the students going crazy on the supposedly easy examples! Maybe things like
(sin x)/x are a bit more fun. But that I can think of, even those who go on to be regular users of math are rarely going to meet these things. In fact that I can recall there is only one place a lot of people meet it usually, that is in the basic thing of calculus where you say (lim δx →0 of) [f(x + δx) - f(x)]/δx and top and bottom do look to be 0. But then for generations I think that one was explained in just minutes, part of one lesson, and people took it in their stride.
The business with ##\delta## and ##\epsilon## brings rigor, rather than hand-waving, to the argument.
epenguin said:
Maybe you could say that limits come a bit more into their own with sums of infinite series - okay it may not be strictly quite right to say they ever add up to something and you should say is their sum has that number as limit. But I mean to say even this is such a big deal?

When I was at school, mnya mnyah, I don't remember we had any of this except the above examples. At my one math year in university we did, and it wasn't any problem for me. And just because of the relief of a thing which wasn't a problem I never questioned it. But if people do have a big problem then perhaps we should?

Just askin'. :olduhh:

Likes SammyS

What is the epsilon-delta definition?

The epsilon-delta definition is a mathematical method for rigorously proving the limit of a function. It involves using two parameters, epsilon (ε) and delta (δ), to show that for any given value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding value of delta that guarantees the function will be within epsilon distance of the limit point.

Why is the epsilon-delta definition important?

The epsilon-delta definition is important because it provides a rigorous and precise way to prove the limit of a function. It is also the foundation for many other important concepts in calculus such as continuity and differentiability.

How do you use the epsilon-delta definition to prove a limit?

To prove a limit using the epsilon-delta definition, you must first choose a value of epsilon and then find a corresponding value of delta that satisfies the definition. This involves manipulating the function and using algebraic techniques to find a suitable delta value.

What are some common challenges when using the epsilon-delta definition?

One common challenge when using the epsilon-delta definition is finding an appropriate value of delta. This can be a time-consuming and tedious process, especially for more complex functions. Another challenge is understanding and correctly applying the definition, as it can be confusing for those new to calculus.

Are there any alternatives to using the epsilon-delta definition to prove a limit?

Yes, there are other methods for proving limits, such as using the squeeze theorem or the definition of continuity. However, the epsilon-delta definition is considered the most rigorous and precise method for proving limits.