Proofs with integrals and properties

In summary, the equation proves that if a, b > 1, then:-int_{1}^{a} (1/t) dt + int_{1}^{b} (1/t) dt = int_{1}^{ab} (1/t) dt
mscbuck

Homework Statement

For a,b > 1 prove that:
[tex]
\int_{1}^{a} (1/t) dt + \int_{1}^{b} (1/t) dt = \int_{1}^{ab} (1/t) dt
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Hint: This can be written
[tex]
\int_{1}^{a} (1/t) dt = \int_{b}^{ab} (1/t) dt
[/tex]

"Every partition P = {t0, ..., tn} of [1,a] gives rise to a partition P' = {bt0, ..., b(tn)} of [b, ab], and conversely.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far the work that I did was that I replaced the first integral in the original equation with the one from the hint, and I kind of evaluated all of the integrals and found that the left side has a total area of 1. I'm thinking that this should tell me something perhaps about showing that the area can be written in the way of the third integral?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The left side doesn't have area 1. I'm thinking you should look at the upper and lower sums of both sides and show they are equal. The width of the intervals in the Riemann sums increases by a factor of b. The value of the function on each interval decreases by a factor of b. Hence?

Sorry, I must've just evaluated them wrong.

In terms of seeing if their upper and lower sums are equal, how would I go about doing this? I understand that being integrable would imply that we have inf{U(f,P)} = sup{L(f,P)}, but does this become an exercise in notation of various partitions? I'm unsure of how to setup the partitions exactly with the a, b, and ab.

Thanks for your quick help in the right direction though.

mscbuck said:
Sorry, I must've just evaluated them wrong.

In terms of seeing if their upper and lower sums are equal, how would I go about doing this? I understand that being integrable would imply that we have inf{U(f,P)} = sup{L(f,P)}, but does this become an exercise in notation of various partitions? I'm unsure of how to setup the partitions exactly with the a, b, and ab.

Thanks for your quick help in the right direction though.

They basically already gave you the partitions to compare in what I assume is a hint. Take P={t0...tn} of [1,a]. Write out explicitly U(f,P) on [1,a] as a summation. Now take the partition P'={b*t0...b*tn} of [b,ab]. Write out U(f,P') on [b,ab] as a summation. Do you see that they are equal?

Unfortunately I am not seeing this result. When I am writing my summations, the change in "t" can be replaced by (a-1) and for the second the change in "t" can be replaced by (ab - b)? What would my Mi's be though (i know they are the supremum of f(x) on the interval ti-1 <= t <= ti+1)?

mscbuck said:
Unfortunately I am not seeing this result. When I am writing my summations, the change in "t" can be replaced by (a-1) and for the second the change in "t" can be replaced by (ab - b)? What would my Mi's be though (i know they are the supremum of f(x) on the interval ti-1 <= t <= ti+1)?

It would likely help if you wrote out the summations you are looking at. The change in t of the first summation is (t_{i+1}-t_i). The supremum of f(x) on an interval is at the lower value of t isn't it? 1/x is decreasing.

For the first:
[tex]
U(f,P) = \sum Mi(a-1)
[/tex]

and [tex]
U(f,P') = \sum Mi(ab-b)
[/tex]

In both I replaced the change in "t" with the respective intervals.

where Mi = sup{f(t): ti-1 <= x <= ti} in general

mscbuck said:
For the first:
[tex]
U(f,P) = \sum Mi(a-1)
[/tex]

and [tex]
U(f,P') = \sum Mi(ab-b)
[/tex]

where Mi = sup{f(t): ti-1 <= x <= ti} in general

The sum should be over each interval in the partition, shouldn't it? They don't all have constant width. The widths in the first partition are t_{i+1}-t_i, not a-1.

Well I decided to take those outside the sum aftewards, figuring that the sum of ti-1, and ti all together would be the interval that it is on. So that should probably edited (my bad, I'm learning Latex and trying to get good at it but I'm forgetting some other things trying to get syntax down) and those terms should be outside the summation.

But even then, if it is t_{i+1}-t_i, what would I do from there?

mscbuck said:
Well I decided to take those outside the sum aftewards, figuring that the sum of ti-1, and ti all together would be the interval that it is on. So that should probably edited (my bad, I'm learning Latex and trying to get good at it but I'm forgetting some other things trying to get syntax down) and those terms should be outside the summation.

But even then, if it is t_{i+1}-t_i, what would I do from there?

So, the sum is (t_{i+1}-t_i)*f(t_i) before you 'simplified' it, right? You can't collect all of the (t_{i+1}-t_i) terms because they are all multiplying different values of f(t_i). Just leave the sum as it is. Write out a similar sum for U(f,P'). That one you can simplify a bit.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve problems related to finding the area, volume, and other physical quantities.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, which means the area under the curve is calculated between two specific points on the graph. In contrast, an indefinite integral does not have specified limits and is represented by a function rather than a numerical value.

What are the properties of integrals?

Some of the key properties of integrals include linearity, substitution, and integration by parts. Linearity means that the integral of a sum is equal to the sum of integrals. Substitution involves replacing a variable in the integral with another variable to simplify the expression. Integration by parts is a technique used to solve integrals that involve products of functions.

How do you solve an integral?

The process for solving an integral involves using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is also important to understand the properties of integrals and how to apply them. Practice and familiarity with different types of integrals are also essential for solving them efficiently.

What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have many practical applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and other physical quantities. For example, integrals can be used to find the volume of a solid object, the work done by a force, or the probability of an event occurring.