1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prooving Area of Circle Equation

1. Oct 12, 2006 #1
    Hi, i am hoping that someone could help me or give me a hint for the follwing question...i will show what I have done so far

The area of a quarter circle given is

Integral sqrt(25-x^2) dx

Use the substitution x = 5 sinu to evaluate this def integral exactly an show that your answer is consistent with area pi*r^2 with radius r

firstly i did dx/du = 5cos u

then i said:
    Integral 5sqrt(1-sin^2u).5cosu du
    Integral 5cosu.5cosu
    Integral 25 cos^2u du
    Integral 25(1+cos2u)/2
    Integral 25/2 +25cos2u/2

and well the problem i am having is that i dont know how to get the u =5sin u to SUB into the intergal so i can solve it (ie i can SUB u into cos2u...it doesnlt work)

so hopefully someone could point me in a better diretion to solve this??

thanks heaps!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2006 #2
    it shouldn't be [tex] x = 5\sin u [/tex], it should be [tex] x = 5\sin \theta [/tex].

4. Oct 12, 2006 #3
    And the difference between those two is?

5. Oct 13, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand what your question is. You seemed to be able to substitute and integrate!
    If your question is "How do you know to make that substitution?", it's because of: sin2u+ cos2u= 1 so that
    1- sin2 u= cos2u, a "perfect square".

If your question is "how do I do that last integral", [itex]\frac{25}{2}\int 1+ cos(2u) du[/itex], you certainly should know that the integral of 1 du is u and the integral of cos(2u) is (1/2)sin(2u). That integral is
    [itex]\frax{25}{2}u+ \frac{1}{2}sin(2u)[/itex]. Since you say you are dealing with a quarter circle and you appear to have set it up with center at (0,0) and radius 5, your original integral is from x= 0 to x= 5. 5 sin u= x= 0 or sin u= 0 when u= 0 and 5 sin u= x= 5, or sin u= 1 when u= [itex]\pi/2[/itex] your limits of integration in the final integral are 0 and [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

6. Oct 14, 2006 #5
    sorry

the question is to proove using intergation techniques and this quarter circle as an example, that the area of a quarter circle is 1/4*pi*r^2. Ie intergrate the given integral and compare that to the area of a circle formula and see that they match. However, the question stipulates that you must use the substitution which I outlined....which leads to my prob when i get to the part where you substitute this : x = 5 sin u back into the equation which is meant to be easier to integrate.... so i guess you could say

i dont know how to get u =5sin u (the upper limit) to substitute into the integral:

25/2 + 25 (cos 2u)/2 (which is as simplified as i can get the intergal)

thanks for all you responses btw!!! appreciated

7. Oct 14, 2006 #6
    No Its A Half Circle!!!

SORRY!! just rechecked the Q, its a semi circle, not a quarter!!!

8. Oct 14, 2006 #7
    I understand the intergal you did completely, no probs there!!

okay heres wat i dont get, how did you change the limits which i had i had, ie 0 and 5 sin u into numbers which I can actaually substitute into the intergal and then solve, it is irrlevant whether a quarter circle or half circle, but i chose quarter circle since the limits 0 and 5 seemed easier.

hang, i think i found my error, the limits therfore should be what you said, i was doing sumthin completely stupid with my limits, i dont know where 5sinu came from as a limit!!!! sorry...THANKU HEAPS FOR YOU HELP!!!!

9. Oct 14, 2006 #8
    5 = 5sinu, so sin u = 1.

x^2 + y^2 = r^2, y^2 = sqrt(r^2 - x^2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?