Prooving Area of Circle Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about evaluating an integral using the substitution method. The limits of the integral are changed to match the substitution, and the final answer is compared to the formula for the area of a circle. The original question is to prove that the area of a quarter circle is 1/4*pi*r^2, but it is later corrected to be a half circle. The conversation ends with the issue being resolved and the person thanking for the help.
rhyso88
Hi, i am hoping that someone could help me or give me a hint for the follwing question...i will show what I have done so far

The area of a quarter circle given is

Integral sqrt(25-x^2) dx

Use the substitution x = 5 sinu to evaluate this def integral exactly an show that your answer is consistent with area pi*r^2 with radius r

firstly i did dx/du = 5cos u

then i said:
Integral 5sqrt(1-sin^2u).5cosu du
Integral 5cosu.5cosu
Integral 25 cos^2u du
Integral 25(1+cos2u)/2
Integral 25/2 +25cos2u/2

and well the problem i am having is that i don't know how to get the u =5sin u to SUB into the intergal so i can solve it (ie i can SUB u into cos2u...it doesnlt work)

so hopefully someone could point me in a better diretion to solve this??

thanks heaps!

Physics news on Phys.org
it shouldn't be [tex] x = 5\sin u [/tex], it should be [tex] x = 5\sin \theta [/tex].

courtrigrad said:
it shouldn't be [tex] x = 5\sin u [/tex], it should be [tex] x = 5\sin \theta [/tex].

And the difference between those two is?

rhyso88 said:
and well the problem i am having is that i don't know how to get the u =5sin u to SUB into the intergal so i can solve it (ie i can SUB u into cos2u...it doesnlt work)
I don't understand what your question is. You seemed to be able to substitute and integrate!
If your question is "How do you know to make that substitution?", it's because of: sin2u+ cos2u= 1 so that
1- sin2 u= cos2u, a "perfect square".

If your question is "how do I do that last integral", [itex]\frac{25}{2}\int 1+ cos(2u) du[/itex], you certainly should know that the integral of 1 du is u and the integral of cos(2u) is (1/2)sin(2u). That integral is
[itex]\frax{25}{2}u+ \frac{1}{2}sin(2u)[/itex]. Since you say you are dealing with a quarter circle and you appear to have set it up with center at (0,0) and radius 5, your original integral is from x= 0 to x= 5. 5 sin u= x= 0 or sin u= 0 when u= 0 and 5 sin u= x= 5, or sin u= 1 when u= [itex]\pi/2[/itex] your limits of integration in the final integral are 0 and [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

sorry

the question is to proove using intergation techniques and this quarter circle as an example, that the area of a quarter circle is 1/4*pi*r^2. Ie intergrate the given integral and compare that to the area of a circle formula and see that they match. However, the question stipulates that you must use the substitution which I outlined...which leads to my prob when i get to the part where you substitute this : x = 5 sin u back into the equation which is meant to be easier to integrate... so i guess you could say

i don't know how to get u =5sin u (the upper limit) to substitute into the integral:

25/2 + 25 (cos 2u)/2 (which is as simplified as i can get the intergal)

thanks for all you responses btw! appreciated

No Its A Half Circle!

SORRY! just rechecked the Q, its a semi circle, not a quarter!

I understand the intergal you did completely, no probs there!

okay here's wat i don't get, how did you change the limits which i had i had, ie 0 and 5 sin u into numbers which I can actaually substitute into the intergal and then solve, it is irrlevant whether a quarter circle or half circle, but i chose quarter circle since the limits 0 and 5 seemed easier.

hang, i think i found my error, the limits therefore should be what you said, i was doing sumthin completely stupid with my limits, i don't know where 5sinu came from as a limit! sorry...THANKU HEAPS FOR YOU HELP!

5 = 5sinu, so sin u = 1.
x^2 + y^2 = r^2, y^2 = sqrt(r^2 - x^2)

What is the equation for finding the area of a circle?

The equation for finding the area of a circle is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius.

How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived from the formula for the circumference of a circle, C = 2πr. By dividing the circumference by the diameter (which is equal to 2r), we get the ratio of the circumference to the diameter, which is π. This ratio is then multiplied by the radius squared to get the area.

Can this equation be used to find the area of any circle?

Yes, this equation can be used to find the area of any circle, regardless of its size or radius.

How accurate is this equation?

This equation is very accurate, as it is a mathematical formula that has been proven through rigorous testing and experimentation. However, due to the use of an irrational number (π), the calculated area will always be an approximation.

Are there any other methods for finding the area of a circle?

Yes, there are other methods such as using integration or approximating the circle with a polygon and using its area formula. However, the equation A = πr² is the most widely used and accurate method for finding the area of a circle.