Propagation of Error/Uncertainty

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of derivatives to approximate errors in functions of measurements. The method used involves finding the derivative of the function and multiplying it by the error in the measurement. However, this method may not always result in an accurate estimation of the error, as it assumes the function is a straight line. This can lead to discrepancies between the estimated error and the actual error.
luma
I'm trying to get an intuitive sense for errors and picked some random numbers:

x = 2.5 +/- 0.01
find f(x) = x³

d f(x) / dx = 3x²
d f(x) = 3x² dx
= 3(2.5)² 0.01
= 0.1875

What I don't get is why f(x - Δx) ≠ f(x) - 0.1875 and why f(x + Δx) ≠ f(x) + 0.1875

Where did I go wrong in my method for finding the uncertainty value? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I found a webpage which lists:

[tex]Q = a^n \Rightarrow \frac{\Delta Q}{Q} = |n| \frac{\Delta a}{a}[/tex]

Applying the method I used in OP here,

[tex]\frac{\delta Q}{\delta a} = n a^{n-1}\\
\delta Q = na^{n-1}\delta a\\
\therefore \frac{\delta Q}{Q} = \frac{na^{n-1}\delta a}{a^n} = n \frac{\delta a}{a}[/tex]

So it looks like my method of deriving the uncertainty is correct.

Working out f(x) = x^6; x = 25 +/- 1 I get do,

f(25 - 1) = f(24) = 191102976
f(25 + 1) = f(26) = 308915776

now using the identity df(x) = 6 25^5 * 1 = 58593750

25^6 + 58593750 ≠ (25+1)^6
25^6 - 58593750 ≠ (25-1)^6

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Yes, you can think of a small error as an "differential" and approximate errors in functions of the measurement using the derivatives.

If [itex]y= x^2[/itex] then [itex]dy/dx= 2x[/itex] so that [itex]dy= 2xdx[/itex]. You could also say, then, that
[tex]\frac{dy}{y}= \frac{2xdx}{y}= \frac{2xdx}{x^2}= 2\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
so that the "relative error", the actual error in the measurement divided by the measurement, is multiplied by 2.

More generally, if f(x,y)= xy, where x and y are independent measurements, then [itex]df= ydx+ xdy[/itex] and so
[tex]\frac{df}{f}= \frac{ydx+ xdy}{xy}= \frac{dx}{x}+ \frac{dy}{y}[/tex].

This is equivalent to the old engineering "rule of thumb": "When measurements are added, their errors add, when measurements are multiplied, their relative errors add".

Thank you for your informative post.

But what I still don't get is what they are showing?

If I make a measurement of x = 2 +/- 1 otherwise written as x = [1,3]

Then y = x² would be [1,9]

Using the rule derived dy = y (2 dx / x) = 2 x dx = 2*2*1 = 4

y = 2² +/- 4 = [0,8] ≠ [1,9]

So what does this represent intuitively?

Is this only an approximation? It doesn't look like it should be

Last edited:
Using the derivative is basically a way of saying "We're going to assume our function really looks like a line, and use the slope of that line to figure out what the error is".

The bigger your interval, the more room for error as the tangent line becomes a worse and worse approximation.

Notice that [0,8] is the range of the tangent line at x=2 over the interval[1,3]

Thank you! Of course...

1. What is propagation of error/uncertainty?

Propagation of error/uncertainty refers to the effect of errors or uncertainties in the measured values of variables on the final calculated result. It is a way to quantify the overall uncertainty in a calculated value based on the uncertainties of the measured variables involved.

2. Why is propagation of error/uncertainty important?

Propagation of error/uncertainty is important because it helps us understand the level of confidence we can have in our calculated results. It allows us to account for the potential errors or uncertainties in our measurements and provides a more accurate representation of the true value.

3. How is propagation of error/uncertainty calculated?

Propagation of error/uncertainty is typically calculated using the law of propagation of uncertainty, which involves taking partial derivatives of the equation relating the variables involved. These partial derivatives are then used to calculate the overall uncertainty in the final result.

4. What factors can contribute to propagation of error/uncertainty?

There are several factors that can contribute to propagation of error/uncertainty, including the precision and accuracy of the measuring instruments, the variability of the measured values, and the mathematical relationship between the variables involved.

5. How can propagation of error/uncertainty be minimized?

Propagation of error/uncertainty can be minimized by using more precise measuring instruments, reducing variability in the measured values, and using mathematical equations that are less sensitive to small changes in the input variables. It is also important to carefully consider and account for all potential sources of error in the measurement process.