Propane Combustion (btu/ft^3) how fast it'll move a piston

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a system that utilizes combustion of propane to cycle a piston. The main issue is determining how to use the combustion value of propane to calculate the force that will push back the piston. The dimensions of the system are not defined, but it is assumed that the combustion chamber is 2.5" long and 1" in diameter with an open port for exhaust. The objective is to have enough force to fully cycle the bolt and the placement of the exhaust port can be adjusted to increase momentum. The conversation also touches on the relationship between the initial volume of propane and air and the temperature, pressure, and volume after combustion. The speaker is seeking advice and hoping to avoid errors in the prototype due to incorrect dimensions
ohspyro89
I hope I can make this understandable.

I'm working on a design to utilize combustion of propane to cycle a piston. I'll attach a gif to make it more simple to understand. When the cylinder is filled with an ideal 4% of propane (green) it'll combust (turns yellow) to push back the cylinder.

The issue I'm having here is that I'm not sure how to use the combustion value of propane (2500 btu/ft3 or 93300 kJ/m3) to figure out how much force the piston will be pushed back.

As of now, the dimensions of the whole system aren't defined. I feel like I need to get a feel of how much force can be utilized from the propane combustion. It could be assumed that the combustion chamber is 2.5" long and 1" in diameter.

Also, there is an open port at the front to exhaust the combusted propane to propel a projectile. This port is 0.125'' in diameter.

The main objective is to have enough force from the propane combustion to cycle the bolt fully. The exhaust port, on top with the arrows, can be moved also to give the bolt more time to gain momentum.

I've been out of physics for a while now, and I've lost my touch for sure. This is a lot for me to try to compute, and I'd rather not start prototyping and find out that my dimensions and weights are incredibly far off.

Thanks a lot!

output_m5m0oU_zpsb92c0f82.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if your setup will actually pulsate the way you have demonstrated in the animated gif, but that could be due to your leaving out some details.

Anyways, when propane combusts with the oxygen in the air, the temperature increases and the gases expand. So there is a relation between the initial volume of propane and air at some temperature T and pressure P, which could be considered atmospheric, and the temperature, pressure, and volume after combustion. That's as far as I want to go with this. Maybe someone else will add more.

1. What is propane combustion?

Propane combustion refers to the chemical reaction that occurs when propane gas is mixed with oxygen and ignited, producing heat, light, and other byproducts.

2. How does propane combustion produce energy in terms of btu/ft^3?

Propane combustion produces energy in the form of heat, which is measured in British Thermal Units (btu). The amount of energy produced per cubic foot (ft^3) of propane depends on several factors, such as the quality of the propane, the air supply, and the efficiency of the combustion process.

3. What factors influence the rate of propane combustion?

The rate of propane combustion is influenced by several factors, including the air-to-fuel ratio, the temperature of the propane, and the presence of any impurities or contaminants in the propane. Additionally, the type of combustion system and the amount of oxygen available also play a role in the rate of combustion.

4. How fast can propane combustion move a piston?

The speed at which propane combustion can move a piston depends on the design and efficiency of the engine or device in which the combustion is taking place. Generally, propane combustion can reach speeds of up to 5,000 feet per second when used in an internal combustion engine.

5. Is propane combustion a clean source of energy?

Compared to other fossil fuels, propane combustion is considered to be a relatively clean source of energy. It produces fewer harmful emissions such as carbon monoxide, particulate matter, and sulfur dioxide. However, it is still a non-renewable fuel and burning it does release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.