Proper handling of witnessing constants in epsilon-delta proofs

In summary: It's a useful technique for proving continuity in many cases, but it may not be suitable for all functions. It's important to understand the underlying concepts and not rely solely on one strategy for all cases. In summary, the conversation discusses using epsilon-delta proofs to determine the continuity of an arbitrary function. The technique of introducing witnessing constants to replace x can work for some functions, but may not work for all cases and it's important to understand the underlying concepts and not rely on one strategy for all functions.
farleyknight
Suppose you had some arbitrary function [itex]f : R^n \to R^p[/itex] and [itex]x \in R^n[/itex]. You want to know if it's continuous, so you do some epsilon-delta to find out for sure. However, only the most simple functions permit this without some extra restrictions.

Consider [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex]. To show that [itex]|x - a| < \delta \rightarrow |f(x) - f(a)| < \epsilon[/itex], you'd have to break up [itex]|x^2 - a^2|[/itex] into [itex]|x + a||x - a|[/itex]. The next step is something I'm somewhat concerned about, but not even for this particular function. The technique I want to illustrate ought to work for higher powers. If it's a correct technique, it ought to work for the general case.

In general, proofs of continuity for anything but linear combinations would require that you make an assumption [itex]|x - a| < 1[/itex] and then [itex]|x| < 1 + |a|[/itex], by the triangle inequality. In this case, we took the witnessing constant 1 to create the coefficient [itex](|1 + |a| + a|)[/itex] to be sure that this neighborhood [itex](|1 + |a| + a|)|x - a| < \epsilon[/itex] holds for the delta we wish to find.

Then when you get around to finding epsilon, you take delta as the min of whatever epsilon and 1, or [itex] \delta = \min( 1, F(\epsilon) ) [/itex] where [itex]F(\epsilon)[/itex] is a function of your constant a and any witnessing constants.

My question is: Will this always work? Can I just introduce witnessing constants to replace x whenever I don't want it? (Provided I maintain the inequality.) Will you ever run into trouble with this as a general strategy? I've seen this in all the books I've come across, so I feel the answer is yes, but having someone more experienced will help solidify that.

Surely I will need more advanced techniques for higher level courses, but is there anything I should watch for at my current level (intro analysis course)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
farleyknight said:
My question is: Will this always work?
I doubt that. There is no one-proofs-all technique, simply because there are non continuous functions, too.
Can I just introduce witnessing constants to replace x whenever I don't want it? (Provided I maintain the inequality.) Will you ever run into trouble with this as a general strategy?
It often works, but I hesitate to say "always".

1. What are witnessing constants in epsilon-delta proofs?

Witnessing constants are numerical values that are chosen in an epsilon-delta proof to demonstrate that a certain limit or convergence holds. They are typically represented by epsilon and delta, and are used to show that the difference between a certain input and the limit or convergence value is small enough to satisfy the conditions of the proof.

2. Why is it important to handle witnessing constants properly in epsilon-delta proofs?

Proper handling of witnessing constants is crucial in epsilon-delta proofs because they serve as the foundation for proving the existence and properties of limits and convergence. If they are not handled correctly, the proof may be invalid and lead to incorrect conclusions.

3. How do you choose appropriate values for epsilon and delta in an epsilon-delta proof?

The choice of epsilon and delta values depends on the specific problem and the mathematical expressions involved. Generally, epsilon should be a small positive number, and delta should be chosen in relation to epsilon and the mathematical expressions in the proof. It is important to also consider the domain and range of the function being evaluated.

4. Can witnessing constants be manipulated in an epsilon-delta proof?

Yes, witnessing constants can be manipulated in an epsilon-delta proof as long as the original conditions of the proof are not changed. This means that epsilon and delta can be multiplied, divided, or added/subtracted by a constant without affecting the validity of the proof.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when handling witnessing constants in epsilon-delta proofs?

One common mistake is choosing epsilon and delta values that are too large or too small, leading to incorrect conclusions. It is also important to ensure that the values chosen satisfy all conditions of the proof and are not arbitrarily chosen. Additionally, it is important to double-check the algebraic manipulations of the witnessing constants to avoid any errors.