Proper Reference Frame -Accelerated observer

In summary, the authors consider an arbitrary accelerated observer in any space-time and construct a set of local coordinates carried along the entire worldline of the observer with the origin of the coordinates comoving with the observer. They term this the "proper reference frame" of the accelerated observer.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
"Proper Reference Frame"-Accelerated observer

Hi guys. This is regarding section 13.6 (p.327) in MTW. Here the authors consider an arbitrary accelerated observer in any space-time and construct a set of local coordinates carried along the entire worldline of the oberver with the origin of the coordinates comoving with the observer; they term this the "proper reference frame" of the accelerated observer. Note that they do not assume the observer's spatial basis vectors are Fermi-Walker transported along his/her worldline.

In ex.(13.14) they consider an accelerated observer and a freely falling particle that at some event is coincident with the origin of the observer's "proper reference frame". They say to show that the 3-acceleration of the freely falling particle relative to the "proper reference frame" at that event is given by ##\frac{\mathrm{d} ^{2}x^{j}}{\mathrm{d} x^{0^2}}e_j = -a - 2\omega \times v + 2(a\cdot v)v## where ##j = 1,2,3##, ##(e_j)## are the spatial basis vectors carried by the observer, ##\omega## is the angular velocity of rotation of the spatial basis vectors, ##v## is the 3-velocity of the freely falling particle, and ##a## is the acceleration of the observer him/herself.

Because this event is on the worldline of the observer (i.e. the origin ##x^j = 0## of the observer's "proper reference frame"), the non-zero christoffel symbols are all given in (13.69a) and (13.69b). Now the freely falling particle satisfies the equations of motion ##\nabla_u u = 0## as usual. Taking again ##j = 1,2,3## in the above coordinates, we simply calculate ##\frac{\mathrm{d} ^2 x^{j}}{\mathrm{d} \tau^2} = -\Gamma ^{j}_{\mu\nu}\frac{\mathrm{d} x^{\mu}}{\mathrm{d} \tau}\frac{\mathrm{d} x^{\nu}}{\mathrm{d} \tau}\\ = -\Gamma ^{j}_{00}(\frac{\mathrm{d} x^0}{\mathrm{d} \tau})^2 - 2\Gamma ^{j}_{k0}\frac{\mathrm{d} x^{k}}{\mathrm{d} \tau}\frac{\mathrm{d} x^0}{\mathrm{d} \tau} \\= -a^j(\frac{\mathrm{d} x^0}{\mathrm{d} \tau})^2 + 2\omega^{i}\epsilon_{0ijk}\frac{\mathrm{d} x^{k}}{\mathrm{d} x^0}(\frac{\mathrm{d} x^0}{\mathrm{d} \tau})^2\\ = (-a^j - 2(\omega \times v)^j)(\frac{\mathrm{d} x^0}{\mathrm{d} \tau})^2##
because all other Christoffel symbols vanish as per (13.69a) and (13.69b). I don't get where that third term ##2(a\cdot v)v## is coming from. Could someone point it out? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the point is that the desired equation contains a d2/dx02, whereas the geodesic equation contains d2/ds2, so you have to use the metric (13.71) to convert one to the other, and this produces the additional term. For example d/dx0 on the a·x in the metric will give you an a·v.

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply! I don't know how but I totally forgot that they wanted ##\frac{\mathrm{d} ^{2}x^{j}}{\mathrm{d} x^{0^{2}}}## and not ##\frac{\mathrm{d} ^{2}x^{j}}{\mathrm{d} \tau^2}## where, as before, ##\tau## is the proper time along the worldline of the freely falling particle. That certainly helped but I'm still a bit confused.

For example, we have ##\frac{\mathrm{d} ^{2}x^{j}}{\mathrm{d} x^{0^{2}}}e_j = \frac{\mathrm{d} \tau}{\mathrm{d} x^{0}}\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} \tau}(\frac{\mathrm{d} \tau}{\mathrm{d} x^{0}}\frac{\mathrm{d} x^{j}}{\mathrm{d} \tau})e_j\\ = (\frac{\mathrm{d} \tau}{\mathrm{d} x^0})^{2}\frac{\mathrm{d} ^{2}x^{j}}{\mathrm{d} \tau^2}e_j + \frac{\mathrm{d} \tau}{\mathrm{d} x^0}\frac{\mathrm{d} x^{j}}{\mathrm{d} \tau}e_j(\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} \tau}\frac{\mathrm{d} \tau}{\mathrm{d} x^0})\\ = -a - 2\omega \times v + v(\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} \tau}\frac{\mathrm{d} \tau}{\mathrm{d} x^0})##

I just don't get how ##\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} \tau}\frac{\mathrm{d} \tau}{\mathrm{d} x^0}## equals ##2a_i v^i## using (13.71) or otherwise. The freely falling particle isn't at rest in the "proper reference frame" of the accelerating observer so I don't get how the equality comes about.

Last edited:
I'd say to start from the d/ds end, and use the fact that d/ds is a directional derivative along the world line:

d/ds = dt/ds ∂/∂t + dx/ds · ∂/∂x

When the dust clears, use the fact that this is evaluated at the origin, and set x = 0. So

d2/ds2 = (dt/ds ∂/∂t + dx/ds · ∂/∂x)(dt/ds ∂/∂t + dx/ds · ∂/∂x)
= (dt/ds)22/∂t2 + (∂/∂t)(dt/ds) ∂/∂t + dx/ds · ∂/∂x (dt/ds) ∂x/∂t + (dx/ds)22/∂x2

Then (∂/∂t)(dt/ds) = a·v so the second term is a·v v, and dx/ds · ∂/∂x (dt/ds) = v·a so the third term is a·v v also.

EDIT: Good illustration of why I don't like MTW! They seem to make up their notation ad hoc as they go along.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Ah ok. That makes perfect sense, thank you again Bill! I appreciate the help :smile:

And yeah, I'm relatively new to MTW and their notation is making my head spin like crazy haha; I've gotten too used to the notation in Wald it would seem.

1. What is a proper reference frame for an accelerated observer?

A proper reference frame for an accelerated observer is a coordinate system that is non-rotating and comoving with the observer. This means that the observer is at rest in this frame, and all objects in the frame are at rest or moving with a constant velocity relative to the observer.

2. How does an accelerated observer experience time dilation?

An accelerated observer experiences time dilation because their reference frame is constantly changing. This causes the observer to measure time differently compared to an inertial observer who is at rest in a non-accelerated reference frame.

3. What is the difference between proper time and coordinate time for an accelerated observer?

Proper time is the time measured by a clock that is at rest in the observer's reference frame, while coordinate time is the time measured by a clock that is stationary in a particular coordinate system. For an accelerated observer, proper time and coordinate time will differ due to the effects of time dilation.

4. How does an accelerated observer experience length contraction?

An accelerated observer experiences length contraction because their reference frame is constantly changing. This means that the observer will measure objects in their frame to be shorter in the direction of motion compared to an inertial observer at rest in a non-accelerated reference frame.

5. Can an accelerated observer ever reach the speed of light?

No, an accelerated observer cannot reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and requires more energy to accelerate. This makes it impossible for the observer to ever reach the speed of light, as it would require infinite energy.