Properties of Invertible Matrices: A2-AB+BA-B2 is Singular

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
abonaser
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Show the following:

If A and B are n x n matrices such that A - B is singular then A2 - AB + BA - B2 is also singular.


I really have no clue how to solve this, but I am guessing that AB does not equal BA, I don't know how that can help or be relevant but just in case


Thanks a lot, any help is appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
alright I am not sure how to calculate the determinant, because we are not actually given any information besides to the matrices A and B are nxn matrices
 
well if det(A-B)=0. Then det((A-B)(A+B))=0 and the matrix is singular!

I am trying to understand though, how did you know that det(A-B)=0?

and thanks a lot for all the help!
 
aha I see right, I am really lost with this whole matrices situation haha thanks a lot for the help!