Properties of Lebesgue Integral

In summary: It becomes true if you switch the order of the integrals in the second inequality.In summary, the statement "If ##f\geq g##, then ##\int_E f\mathrm d\lambda\leq \int_E g\mathrm d\lambda##" is not true, as shown by the counterexample ##f(x) = 2, g(x) = 1 \; \forall x## and ##E = [1,2]##. However, if the order of the integrals in the second inequality is switched, then the statement becomes true.
nateHI

Homework Statement

Let ##f,g## be non-negative Lebesgue measurable functions, and let ##E## be a measurable set. Prove that:

##f\ge g\implies \int_E f d\lambda \le \int_E g d\lambda##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to apply Fatou's lemma but haven't been getting anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
nateHI said:

Homework Statement

Let ##f,g## be non-negative Lebesgue measurable functions, and let ##E## be a measurable set. Prove that:

Homework Equations

Here's a little more detail on my attempt
## \int (f-g)\le liminf_{n\to\infty}\int{(f_n-g_n)}##
##\implies \int{f}-\int{g}\le liminf_{n\to\infty}\int{f_n}-liminf_{n\to\infty}\int{g_n}##
##\implies -\int g -limsup_{n\to \infty}\int{-g_n} \le -\int f -limsup_{n\to \infty}\int{-f_n} ##
##\implies \int g +limsup_{n\to \infty}\int{g_n} \ge \int f +limsup_{n\to \infty}\int{f_n} ##
##\implies \int g \ge \int f##

My confusion arises when I compare this to monotonicity. I must be missing a step and it must be because I'm not using the fact that
##\int_E f=\int{f \mathcal{X}_E}##

nateHI said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You are getting nowhere because the result is false. Try the example ##f(x) = 2, g(x) = 1 \; \forall x## and ##E = [1,2]##.

I think one of those inequalities is supposed to point in the other direction. For example, if ##f\leq g##, then ##\int_E f\mathrm d\lambda\leq \int_E g\mathrm d\lambda##. There's more than one definition of the Lebesgue integral, so you will have to tell us which one you're using. Is ##\lambda## the Lebesgue measure on ##\mathbb R^n##, or just some arbitrary measure?

Regardless of what definition you're using, it will probably be slightly easier to break this up into two parts:
(a) If ##f\geq 0## then ##\int_E f\mathrm d\lambda\geq 0##.
(b) If ##f\leq g## then ##\int_E f\mathrm d\lambda\leq \int_E g\mathrm d\lambda##.

(a) is slightly easier to prove than (b) alone, and if you have proved (a), it's very easy to use it to prove (b).

Ray Vickson said:
You are getting nowhere because the result is false. Try the example ##f(x) = 2, g(x) = 1 \; \forall x## and ##E = [1,2]##.
Ack! That's not good, this was the professors practice problem for the upcoming test. Also, I double checked and the problem is stated here as he gave it to the class. Please disregard my request for assistance.

Last edited:
Then there's a typo in the problem. If you reverse the direction of one of the inequalities, you get one of the standard theorems that's proved in every book on integration.

1. What is the Lebesgue Integral and how is it different from the Riemann Integral?

The Lebesgue Integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area under a curve. It was developed by French mathematician Henri Lebesgue in the early 20th century as an extension of the Riemann Integral. The main difference between the two is that the Lebesgue Integral is more flexible and can handle a wider range of functions, while the Riemann Integral can only be applied to functions that are continuous or have a limited number of discontinuities.

2. How is the Lebesgue Integral defined?

The Lebesgue Integral of a function f on a given interval [a, b] is defined as the limit of a summation of the areas of increasingly finer rectangles under the graph of f. This limit is taken as the width of the rectangles approaches zero, and the number of rectangles approaches infinity. In other words, the Lebesgue Integral is a measure of the accumulation of "small" areas under the curve of f over the given interval.

3. What are the advantages of using the Lebesgue Integral over the Riemann Integral?

One of the main advantages of the Lebesgue Integral is its ability to handle a wider variety of functions, including those with discontinuities and infinite or undefined values. Additionally, the Lebesgue Integral has a more intuitive definition and is easier to generalize to higher dimensions. It also allows for easier integration over unbounded domains.

4. How is the Lebesgue Integral used in real-world applications?

The Lebesgue Integral has many applications in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and statistics. It is used to calculate areas, volumes, and probabilities, as well as in the analysis of complex systems and data. It is also an important tool in the development of more advanced mathematical theories and techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lebesgue Integral?

While the Lebesgue Integral has many advantages over the Riemann Integral, it is not a perfect tool and has its limitations. One limitation is that it can be more difficult to compute in some cases, as it requires the use of more advanced mathematical concepts such as measure theory. It also has some restrictions on the types of functions it can be applied to, as it may fail to integrate certain pathological functions that are not Lebesgue integrable.