1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Lebesgue Integral

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##f,g## be non-negative Lebesgue measurable functions, and let ##E## be a measurable set. Prove that:

##f\ge g\implies \int_E f d\lambda \le \int_E g d\lambda##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been trying to apply Fatou's lemma but haven't been getting anywhere.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2
    Here's a little more detail on my attempt
    ## \int (f-g)\le liminf_{n\to\infty}\int{(f_n-g_n)}##
    ##\implies \int{f}-\int{g}\le liminf_{n\to\infty}\int{f_n}-liminf_{n\to\infty}\int{g_n}##
    ##\implies -\int g -limsup_{n\to \infty}\int{-g_n} \le -\int f -limsup_{n\to \infty}\int{-f_n} ##
    ##\implies \int g +limsup_{n\to \infty}\int{g_n} \ge \int f +limsup_{n\to \infty}\int{f_n} ##
    ##\implies \int g \ge \int f##

My confusion arises when I compare this to monotonicity. I must be missing a step and it must be because I'm not using the fact that
    ##\int_E f=\int{f \mathcal{X}_E}##

4. Oct 13, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are getting nowhere because the result is false. Try the example ##f(x) = 2, g(x) = 1 \; \forall x## and ##E = [1,2]##.

5. Oct 13, 2014 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think one of those inequalities is supposed to point in the other direction. For example, if ##f\leq g##, then ##\int_E f\mathrm d\lambda\leq \int_E g\mathrm d\lambda##. There's more than one definition of the Lebesgue integral, so you will have to tell us which one you're using. Is ##\lambda## the Lebesgue measure on ##\mathbb R^n##, or just some arbitrary measure?

Regardless of what definition you're using, it will probably be slightly easier to break this up into two parts:
    (a) If ##f\geq 0## then ##\int_E f\mathrm d\lambda\geq 0##.
    (b) If ##f\leq g## then ##\int_E f\mathrm d\lambda\leq \int_E g\mathrm d\lambda##.

(a) is slightly easier to prove than (b) alone, and if you have proved (a), it's very easy to use it to prove (b).

6. Oct 13, 2014 #5
    Ack! That's not good, this was the professors practice problem for the upcoming test. Also, I double checked and the problem is stated here as he gave it to the class. Please disregard my request for assistance.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  7. Oct 13, 2014 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then there's a typo in the problem. If you reverse the direction of one of the inequalities, you get one of the standard theorems that's proved in every book on integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted