1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proprtionality Statement Graphing Procedures

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    1. I have finished a lab that compares the frequency at which a pendulum swings vs time in seconds. I have collected the date for both the length of the pendulum and the frequency. A question on the lab requires to graph the collected data before the statement (Non Linear Line) and then one after (Linear Line). However I do not know if I should redo the X-Axis and its values.

2. Relevant equations
    For the Non-Linear Graph it is plotted with the y-axis as Frequency in Hz, and the X-axis as Length in (cm). After finding the correct proportionality statement, which is f is proportional to 1/√l where l is length and f is frequency.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have previously graphed with the X-axis just using the length values, but now that i have made the proportionality statement, what needs to be changed? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Plot the frequency in terms of square-root of the length : you need to have points scattered around a straight line.

ehild

4. Sep 10, 2011 #3
    I have the increments properly placed, but should the titles of both axis be the same?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook