1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron velocity through earth's magnetic field

1. Oct 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Electron is travelling in line with the equator, perpendicular to earth's magnetic field of 6E-5 Tesla. What velocity is required for the electron to stay in a straight line path, such that it's weight is exactly matched by the magnetic force against it.

2. Relevant equations

F = q.(v×B)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've actually done a whole module on electromagnetism before, right through to Maxwell's equations etc. However I've changed to a new university and am required to go through it all again, because that's just the way their course goes. The work is trivial enough but the answer I've got here is strangely small so I need to double check to see if I've missed something.

Electron weight needs to match the Magnetic force. So...

F = mg = q.(v×B) = qvB (because of perpendicularity so can 'ignore' cross-product formalities)

v = mg/qB = (9.11E-31 * 9.81) / 1.60E-19 * 6E-5)

v = 9.31E-7 m/s

Now this seems incredibly slow to me. I understand electrons are very, very small, but I've never come across anything where such an incredibly slow velocity would be of any use at all.

So, am I correct or have I made some glaring error somewhere?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2015 #2
    It means that the gravity acting on the electron is really weak and doesn't affect much to the motion of electron.

4. Oct 8, 2015 #3
    Great stuff, I take it there's no problem with the answer then :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted