Prove: A(BC)=(AB)C for matrix multiplication

In summary, to prove the theorem A(BC)=(AB)C, we can use the properties of matrix multiplication and the associative property to rearrange the summations and obtain the desired result.
adartsesirhc

Homework Statement

Prove the following theorem:
A(BC)=(AB)C.

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_multiplication#Ordinary_matrix_product"

The Attempt at a Solution

Let A be of order m by n, B be of order n by p, and C be of order p by q. Then
[tex](A(BC))_{ij}=\sum^{n}_{k=1} A_{ik}(BC)_{kj}=\sum^{n}_{k=1} (A_{ik}(\sum^{p}_{r=1} B_{kr}C_{rj}))[/tex]
After this, I'm stuck. How do I put the summations together, and how should I change the indices of summation?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
adartsesirhc said:
Let A be of order m by n, B be of order n by p, and C be of order p by q. Then
[tex](A(BC))_{ij}=\sum^{n}_{k=1} A_{ik}(BC)_{kj}=\sum^{n}_{k=1} (A_{ik}(\sum^{p}_{r=1} B_{kr}C_{rj}))[/tex]
After this, I'm stuck. How do I put the summations together, and how should I change the indices of summation?

Hi adartsesirhc! :smile:

(nice LaTeX, btw!)

Hint: You can move the ∑s as far to the left as you like. :smile:

[tex](A(BC))_{ij}=\sum^{n}_{k=1} A_{ik}(BC)_{kj}=\sum^{n}_{k=1} (A_{ik}(\sum^{p}_{r=1} B_{kr}C_{rj}))=\sum^{n}_{k=1} \sum^{p}_{r=1} A_{ik}B_{kr}C_{rj}=\sum^{p}_{r=1} (\sum^{n}_{k=1} A_{ik}B_{kr})C_{rj}=\sum^{p}_{r=1} (AB)_{ir}C_{rj}=((AB)C)_{ij}[/tex].

How's that?

adartsesirhc said:
[tex](A(BC))_{ij}=\sum^{n}_{k=1} A_{ik}(BC)_{kj}=\sum^{n}_{k=1} (A_{ik}(\sum^{p}_{r=1} B_{kr}C_{rj}))=\sum^{n}_{k=1} \sum^{p}_{r=1} A_{ik}B_{kr}C_{rj}=\sum^{p}_{r=1} (\sum^{n}_{k=1} A_{ik}B_{kr})C_{rj}=\sum^{p}_{r=1} (AB)_{ir}C_{rj}=((AB)C)_{ij}[/tex].

How's that?

Perfect! :smile:
:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation where two matrices are multiplied together to produce a new matrix. It is an important concept in linear algebra and is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. Why is it important to prove A(BC)=(AB)C for matrix multiplication?

This property of matrix multiplication, known as the associative property, is important because it allows us to rearrange the order of operations when multiplying multiple matrices together. This makes it easier to perform calculations and simplifies complex expressions involving matrices.

3. Can you provide an example to demonstrate A(BC)=(AB)C for matrix multiplication?

Sure, let's say we have three matrices: A, B, and C. Matrix A has dimensions 2x3, matrix B has dimensions 3x4, and matrix C has dimensions 4x2. When we multiply them in the order A(BC), we first multiply B and C, resulting in a 3x2 matrix. Then we multiply A and the resulting matrix, giving us a final matrix with dimensions 2x2. When we multiply them in the order (AB)C, we first multiply A and B, giving us a 2x4 matrix. Then we multiply this matrix with C, resulting in a final matrix with dimensions 2x2. As you can see, the result is the same regardless of the order in which we perform the multiplications.

4. How is the associative property different from the commutative property of matrix multiplication?

The associative property states that the order of matrix multiplication can be changed without affecting the final result, while the commutative property states that the order of the matrices themselves can be changed without affecting the final result. In other words, the associative property deals with changing the order of the operations, while the commutative property deals with changing the order of the operands.

5. Are there any other properties of matrix multiplication that are important to know?

Yes, there are several other properties of matrix multiplication, including the distributive property, the identity property, and the zero property. These properties all play important roles in performing calculations with matrices and understanding their properties.