Prove a complex expression = 1, if log of the complex terms are equal

In summary: I am just 9th grade. I don't have a PhD. I am kidding. Why are you kidding...I am just 9th grade. I don't have a PhD.
Govind_Balaji

Homework Statement

If [itex]\frac{\log x}{b-c}=\frac{\log y}{c-a}=\frac{\log z}{a-b},[/itex] prove that [itex]x^{b+c-a}.y^{c+a-b}.z^{a+b-c}=1[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved a question similar to it in a way. So I tried this in the same way. The only difference between the two questions is that except a,b and c, the denominators are also x, y and z.
I didn't know if it would work.

So I tried like this.
Let [itex] m= b-c, n= c-a [/itex]then [itex] a-b=-(m+n)[/itex]

By cross multiplication, I got

[itex]z^m=x^{-(m+n)}\\z^n=y^{-(m+n)}\\x^n=y^m\\\\\Rightarrow z=1/xy, x=1/yz, y=1/xz[/itex]

In my old question it was to prove [itex]x^x.y^y.z^z=1[/itex]. So I substituted easily.

I am struggling to substitute here.

So I tried writing [itex]x^{b+c-a}.y^{c+a-b}.z^{a+b-c}[/itex] it easier by using m and n.

[itex]x^{b+c-a}.y^{c+a-b}.z^{a+b-c}=x^{2n+m+a}.y^{a-m}.z^{a+m}[/itex]

I am struggling then after. Can anyone give me a hint.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try working backwards.

You need to prove ##x^{b+c-a}.y^{c+a-b}.z^{a+b-c}=1##, this is equivalent to showing ##\log x^{b+c-a}+\log y^{c+a-b}+\log z^{a+b-c}=0##, do you see why? If so, can you figure out the individual terms and show that their sum is zero?

Pranav-Arora said:
Try working backwards.

You need to prove ##x^{b+c-a}.y^{c+a-b}.z^{a+b-c}=1##, this is equivalent to showing ##\log x^{b+c-a}+\log y^{c+a-b}+\log z^{a+b-c}=0##, do you see why? If so, can you figure out the individual terms and show that their sum is zero?

Are you saying I have to prove [itex]b+c-a=0 \text{then } c+a-b=0 \text{ and } a+b-c=0

Govind_Balaji said:
Are you saying I have to prove [itex]b+c-a=0 \text{then } c+a-b=0 \text{ and } a+b-c=0[/itex]

No, I didn't mean that. Equate the equality to ##\lambda##. Can you find ##\log x^{b+c-a}## in terms of ##\lambda, a, b## and ##c##?

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
No, I didn't mean that. Equate the equality to ##\lambda##. Can you find ##\log x^{b+c-a}## in terms of ##\lambda, a, b## and ##c##?

I am just 9th grade. I don't know anything about lambda other than it is a symbol for wavelength of light. I don't know the value of lambda. Can you explain clearly?

Govind_Balaji said:
I am just 9th grade. I don't know anything about lambda other than it is a symbol for wavelength of light. I don't know the value of lambda. Can you explain clearly?

Wavelength? :tongue:

I meant ##\lambda## as some constant, you can even name it ##\alpha## if you wish to. What I meant was this:
$$\frac{\log x}{b-c}=\frac{\log y}{c-a}=\frac{\log z}{a-b}=\lambda$$
Can you make sense of this now? :smile:

Likes 1 person
Yes, now I will try.

Pranav-Arora said:

I can't understand how to prove this. expressing ##\log x^{b+c-a}## in terms of ##\lambda, a, b## and ##c##, ##10^{\lambda}=x^{b+c-a}##.

Or I tried as I said in the first post of this thread.

Can you give a small hint if you have already solved it.

Govind_Balaji said:
##10^{\lambda}=x^{b+c-a}##.

I don't see how you get that.

You have the following:
$$\frac{\log x}{b-c}=\lambda$$
Can you find ##\log x^{b+c-a}## from here? (Hint: Multiply both the sides by ##b+c-a##)

Likes 1 person
I get

[itex]

\\\log x^{b+c-a}=\lambda\frac{b+c-a}{b-c}\\\\
\\\log y^{c+a-b}=\lambda\frac{c+a-b}{c-a}\\\\
\\\log z^{a+b-c}=\lambda\frac{a+b-c}{a-b}\\\\

\\\log\left(x^{b+c-a}. y^{c+a-b}.z^{b+c-a}\right )=\lambda\frac{b+c-a}{b-c}+\lambda\frac{c+a-b}{c-a}+\lambda\frac{a+b-c}{a-b}

[/itex]

Am I right till now?

Govind_Balaji said:
I get

[itex]

\\\log x^{b+c-a}=\lambda\frac{b+c-a}{b-c}\\\\
\\\log y^{c+a-b}=\lambda\frac{c+a-b}{c-a}\\\\
\\\log z^{a+b-c}=\lambda\frac{a+b-c}{a-b}\\\\
[/itex]
Are you sure that they should be in denominator?

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
Are you sure that they should be in denominator?

Thank you, a small careless mistake.

The denominators should be in numerators.

I add them. I got 0.

Removing the log, I will get them equal to 0.

Thank you very much.

Govind_Balaji said:
I am just 9th grade.
You are at 9th grade and you have studied logs?
I haven't still studied it. :cry:

adjacent said:
You are at 9th grade and you have studied logs?
I haven't still studied it. :cry:

I saw in your profile. You have done PhD and you have said that you are a professor.

Why are you kidding me?:tongue2:

Govind_Balaji said:
I saw in your profile. You have done PhD and you have said that you are a professor.

Why are you kidding me?:tongue2:
You can see my age(15 years). I am in Gr.10 :smile:

What does it mean to prove a complex expression equal to 1?

To prove a complex expression equal to 1 means to show that when all the terms in the expression are substituted with their respective values, the result is equal to 1. This is done using mathematical techniques and principles.

Why is it important to prove a complex expression equal to 1?

In mathematics and science, proving a complex expression equal to 1 is important because it helps to establish the validity and accuracy of equations and theories. It also allows for further analysis and understanding of the complex expression.

What does it mean when the logarithm of complex terms are equal?

When the logarithm of complex terms are equal, it means that the values of the terms are such that the logarithm of each term is the same. This allows for simplification and manipulation of the complex expression.

What techniques are used to prove a complex expression equal to 1?

Techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and logarithmic rules are commonly used to prove a complex expression equal to 1. Depending on the complexity of the expression, other mathematical techniques may also be used.

How can I check the accuracy of my proof for a complex expression equal to 1?

To check the accuracy of a proof for a complex expression equal to 1, you can substitute the values of the terms in the expression and see if the resulting value is indeed equal to 1. You can also use a calculator or ask a colleague to review your proof.