1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove a limit exists using formal definition

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the value of the limit and justify your answer with the ε-δ definition of the limit.
    lim (x->1) x2

2. Relevant equations
    My professor gave us the hint that we have to take δ as 0<δ≤ k0 so that δ(ε)=min{k0,ε/ (k0+2)}

I'm guessing that k0 is meant to be any number though it's usually 1?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to relate |f(x)-1|<ε to |x-a|<δ
    |x2-1| < ε
    -ε < x2-1 <ε
    -ε+1 < x2 <ε+1
    (-ε+1)1/2-1 < x-1 < (ε+1)1/2-1

I'm not sure what to do from here. I'm guessing that
    δ=(-ε+1)1/2-1 or (ε+1)1/2-1
    but I have no clue where to go from there.

I've tried doing this another way as well to make use of a k0 from my professor's hint

|x2-1| < ε
    -ε < x2-1 <ε
    -ε+1 < x2 <ε+1
    -ε+1 < x x < ε+1 where if we assume that |x|<k0=1, we can then assume that -ε+1 < k0x < ε+1
    (-ε+1)/k0 - 1 < x-1< (ε+1)/k0 - 1
    This still doesn't give me what my professor hinted at though. (I don't know what to do after that.)
    Also, what does the min{_____,_______} mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

k0 might be 1. It's just some unspecified number.

min{..., ...} means the minimum of the numbers in the list inside the braces.

4. Oct 2, 2014 #3
    I think I managed to connect the dots together. I shouldn't have gotten rid of the -1 in |x2-1|. Instead, I should have just turned it into (x-1)(x+1) and move on from there.

Assuming that x+1<1 and δ<1,
    -1<x-1<1 so if we add +2 to both sides, we get 1<x+1<3
    |x+1||x-1|<3|x-1|<ε
    |x-1|<ε/3

But if I assume that δ<1, then δ=min{1,ε/3} won't make sense?

5. Oct 2, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Just assume that δ < 1. That makes |x - 1| < 1, which gives you bounds on |x + 1|, as you show below.
    Now, choose δ = min{1, ε/3}. Typically, someone (else) would pick a small value for ε, so δ will typically be much smaller than 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted