Prove a multiplicative inverse exists (complex number)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of c and d when given the equation 1/(a+bi)=c+di, where a, b are real numbers. The solution for c and d is c=(a)/(a^2 + b^2) and d=(-b)/(a^2 + b^2). The conversation then moves on to discussing the solution for part b, which involves multiplying a complex number by its inverse. The 'i' in the solution for d is included because it was originally factored out in the solution for d, and must be included again when composing the complex number c+di.
glauss
Homework Statement
Find c and d when:
a, b E R and a, b !=0

1/(a+bi)=c+di

Additionally, prove that (a+bi) has a multiplicative inverse.
Relevant Equations
1/(a+bi)=c+di
I have as a solution for part one:

c=(a)/(a^2 + b^2)
d=(-b)/(a^2 + b^2)

Which matches with the solution manual.

The manual goes on to give the solution for part b:

(a+bi) * ( (a)/(a^2 + b^2) - ((b)/(a^2 + b^2))i ) = 1

I'd simply like to know where the 'i' at the end of the second expression in the left part comes from.

Physics news on Phys.org
glauss said:
Homework Statement:: Find c and d when:
a, b E R and a, b !=0

1/(a+bi)=c+di

Additionally, prove that (a+bi) has a multiplicative inverse.
Relevant Equations:: 1/(a+bi)=c+di

I have as a solution for part one:

c=(a)/(a^2 + b^2)
d=(-b)/(a^2 + b^2)

Which matches with the solution manual.

The manual goes on to give the solution for part b:

(a+bi) * ( (a)/(a^2 + b^2) - ((b)/(a^2 + b^2))i ) = 1

I'd simply like to know where the 'i' at the end of the second expression in the left part comes from.
The last equation is to check whether your solution is actually one, i.e. if ##(a+bi)(c+di)=1## where you have substituted your solution for ##c## and ##d##. The ## i ## is the one at the ##d##. We have a complex number as solution.

Thanks for the reply.
I thought that because the 'i' was factored out in the solution for 'd', it wouldn't be a factor of the solution of 'd' when multiplying it by its inverse.
However, your solution makes sense - because we re-included 'i' as a factor of 'b' in the first term (a+bi), we should re-include it in the inverse bit for 'd'?
Does thus sound right?

glauss said:
Thanks for the reply.
I thought that because the 'i' was factored out in the solution for 'd', it wouldn't be a factor of the solution of 'd' when multiplying it by its inverse.
However, your solution makes sense - because we re-included 'i' as a factor of 'b' in the first term (a+bi), we should re-include it in the inverse bit for 'd'?
Does thus sound right?
A bit confused if you ask me, but right. c and d are real numbers, but c+di is complex and we started with the setting that 1=(a+bi)(c+di). During the calculation you used only real numbers, namely those to find c and d. At the end, we have to compose them again to the complex number which we were really looking for: c+di.

It starts to confuse me, too, :wink:

Likes glauss
glauss said:
Does thus sound right?
That sounds confusing to me. The 'i' was there to start with. You solved for c and d in c+di. So the 'i' was already there and you just substituted your results in for c and d.

Likes glauss
That makes perfect sense, thank you.

1. What is a multiplicative inverse?

A multiplicative inverse is a number that, when multiplied by a given number, results in a product of 1. In other words, it is the reciprocal of a number.

2. Why is it important to prove the existence of a multiplicative inverse?

Proving the existence of a multiplicative inverse is important because it ensures that we can perform division operations with complex numbers. It also allows us to solve equations involving complex numbers.

3. How do you prove the existence of a multiplicative inverse for a complex number?

To prove the existence of a multiplicative inverse for a complex number, we need to show that the product of the complex number and its inverse is equal to 1. This can be done using algebraic manipulation and the properties of complex numbers.

4. Can all complex numbers have a multiplicative inverse?

No, not all complex numbers have a multiplicative inverse. Only non-zero complex numbers have a multiplicative inverse. This is because the product of 0 and any other number is always 0, not 1.

5. Is the multiplicative inverse of a complex number unique?

Yes, the multiplicative inverse of a complex number is unique. This means that there is only one number that can be multiplied by a given complex number to result in a product of 1. This is true for all non-zero complex numbers.