1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove AB and BA have the same characteristic polynomial

1. Aug 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that for any square matrices of the same size, A, B, that AB and BA have the same characteristic polynomial.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand how to do this if either A or B is invertible, since they would be similar then. I saw a proof that states to take [itex]A = A + \epsilon I[/itex], so that [itex]det(A+\epsilon I) \neq 0[/itex], and then we have,

[tex] det \left((A+\epsilon I) B - \lambda I \right) = det \left((B(A+\epsilon I) - \lambda I\right)[/tex]

Since then we can use the similarity argument. We then take [itex]\epsilon\rightarrow 0[/itex].

I'm wondering if someone could please provide an accessible, but sound explanation of why we are allowed to use this [itex]\epsilon \rightarrow 0 [/itex] argument.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2012 #2
    Can you see that the entities on either side of the equation are multivariate polynomials with respect to epsilon and lambda?

4. Aug 20, 2012 #3
    Hmm, somewhat. Could you please provide greater insight?

5. Aug 20, 2012 #4
    "Somewhat" is not good. If you really don't see it, take a simple 2x2 case and work it out.

If you do see that, then what do you know of continuity of polynomials? What is [itex]\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} P(\epsilon, \lambda)[/itex], if [itex]P(\epsilon, \lambda)[/itex] is a polynomial?

6. Aug 21, 2012 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Hmm are you sure that's the right question? A would need some inverse C such that :

C-1AC = B

Then you could start by saying :

pB(λ) = det(B-λIn)

Then you should use what you know about B and the identity matrix In to massage the expression into pA(λ) [ Hint : Think about inverses and how they work! ]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook