1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove ||B(x,y)|| = ||(x,y)|| for all x,y in R^2 (Rotations in R^2)

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1
    B = [cos[tex]\theta[/tex] -sin[tex]\theta[/tex]]
    ......[sin[tex]\theta[/tex] cos[tex]\theta[/tex]]

for some [tex]\theta[/tex] in R[tex]^{2}[/tex].

(a) Prove that || B(x,y) || = || (x,y) || for all (x,y)[tex]\in[/tex]R[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Question: What does B(x,y) and (x,y) notation mean?
    I have a result that says

Let B=[b[tex]_{ij}[/tex]] be an mxn matrix whose entries
    are real numbers and let e[tex]_{1}[/tex],...,e[tex]_{n}[/tex] represent the usual basis of R^n. If T(x) = Bx, x[tex]\in[/tex]R^n , then T is a linear function from R^n to R^m and T(e[tex]_{j}[/tex])=(b[tex]_{1j}[/tex],b[tex]_{2j}[/tex],...,b[tex]_{mj}[/tex], j = 1,2,...n

Warning: Superscripts are not superscipts. They are supposed to be SUBSCRIPTS. Sigh.

Can I use this?

1. I am very new to this material
    2. I am stuck with the notation.
    3. Please answer my first question carefully. I can't answer the question unless I know what they are asking. :)

Please help me. Thank You,
    HF08

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2
    Not to be a jerk, but I'm not sure you should be doing problems like this if you don't even know what a vector or at least an ordered pair is. Regardless, here's a short introduction to vectors via Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_(spatial)

4. Feb 25, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Better yet, read your text book. As a "last resort"(!) ask your teacher what those things mean. Surely whoever gave you that problem was assuming you already knew that B(x,y) means to multiply the matrix B by the (column) vector (x, y).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  5. Feb 25, 2008 #4
    Ah...

I know what a vector and ordered pair is. So what they are really saying is this:
    Bx=x, right? If so, that makes alot more since then the (x,y) notation to me.

6. Feb 26, 2008 #5
    Solved

This was easy! Thanks for your kind replies. My problem was the notation, after that, it just follows very quickly.

Regards,
    HF08

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?