Prove ||B(x,y)|| = ||(x,y)|| for all x,y in R^2 (Rotations in R^2)

  • Thread starter Thread starter HF08
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
HF08
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
B = [cos[tex]\theta[/tex] -sin[tex]\theta[/tex]]
...[sin[tex]\theta[/tex] cos[tex]\theta[/tex]]

for some [tex]\theta[/tex] in R[tex]^{2}[/tex].


(a) Prove that || B(x,y) || = || (x,y) || for all (x,y)[tex]\in[/tex]R[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Question: What does B(x,y) and (x,y) notation mean?
I have a result that says

Let B=[b[tex]_{ij}[/tex]] be an mxn matrix whose entries
are real numbers and let e[tex]_{1}[/tex],...,e[tex]_{n}[/tex] represent the usual basis of R^n. If T(x) = Bx, x[tex]\in[/tex]R^n , then T is a linear function from R^n to R^m and T(e[tex]_{j}[/tex])=(b[tex]_{1j}[/tex],b[tex]_{2j}[/tex],...,b[tex]_{mj}[/tex], j = 1,2,...n


Warning: Superscripts are not superscipts. They are supposed to be SUBSCRIPTS. Sigh.

Can I use this?

1. I am very new to this material
2. I am stuck with the notation.
3. Please answer my first question carefully. I can't answer the question unless I know what they are asking. :)

Please help me. Thank You,
HF08
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not to be a jerk, but I'm not sure you should be doing problems like this if you don't even know what a vector or at least an ordered pair is. Regardless, here's a short introduction to vectors via Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_(spatial )
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Better yet, read your textbook. As a "last resort"(!) ask your teacher what those things mean. Surely whoever gave you that problem was assuming you already knew that B(x,y) means to multiply the matrix B by the (column) vector (x, y).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah...

I know what a vector and ordered pair is. So what they are really saying is this:
Bx=x, right? If so, that makes a lot more since then the (x,y) notation to me.
 
Solved

This was easy! Thanks for your kind replies. My problem was the notation, after that, it just follows very quickly.

Regards,
HF08