1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove Chi Square is Stochastically Increasing

1. Jan 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the [itex]X^2[/itex] distribution is stochastically increasing in its degrees of freedom; that is if [itex]p>q[/itex], then for any [itex]a[/itex], [itex]P(X^2_{p} > a) \geq P(X^2_{q} > a)[/itex], with strict inequality for some [itex]a[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    1.[itex](n-1)S^2/\sigma^2 \sim X^2_{n-1}[/itex]
    2.The Chi squared(p) pdf is
    [itex]f(x|p)= \frac 1{\Gamma(p/2) 2^{p/2}}x^{(p/2) - 1}e^{-x/2} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since [itex]p>q[/itex], this implies [itex]\forall a, \frac{\sigma^2 a}{p}< \frac{\sigma^2 a}{q} [/itex].
    Also, [itex]X^2_{k} \sim kS^2/\sigma^2 [/itex].

Therefore [itex] \forall a, P(X^2_{p}>a) = P(S^2 > \sigma^2 a/p) \geq P(S^2 > \sigma^2 a/q) = P(X^2_{q}>a) [/itex].

If [itex] a>0[/itex], we observe strict inequality, as the support of [itex]S^2[/itex] is [itex][0,\infty) [/itex]...

What do you think? If I am going in the wrong direction, please steer me in the right one.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I cannot follow your argument. You need two different ##S^2## random variables---one for ##\chi^2_p## and a different one for ##\chi^2_q##. Basically, though, you need to know what ##\chi^2## really is, in simple, intuitive terms: if ##Y_r## has the distribution ##\chi^2_r## then
    [tex] Y_r = Z_1^2 + Z_2^2 + \cdots + Z_r^2, [/tex]
    where ##Z_1, Z_2, \ldots, Z_r## are iid standard normal random variables.

When looking at stochastic ordering, you are entitled to use a common sample space ##\Omega##, since all that matters is how the distribution functions compare (not, for example, whether the two random variables are independent, or not). We can always "construct" a sample space such that the iid N(0,1) random variables ##Z_1, Z_2, \ldots, Z_p## are functions over ##\Omega## (so their values "observed" on a sample point ##\omega \in \Omega##) are ##Z_1(\omega), Z_2(\omega), \ldots, Z_p(\omega)##. Then
    [tex] Y_q(\omega) = \sum_{j=1}^q Z_j(\omega)^2 \; \text{and} \;Y_p(\omega) = \sum_{j=1}^p Z_j(\omega)^2 [/tex]
    For ##q < p##, what does that tell you?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  4. Jan 20, 2015 #3
    Based on your hint, here's what I'm thinking...

Well, then, if [itex]Z_{i} \sim N(0,1)[/itex] (and i.i.d.) , and [itex]X^2_{n} = \sum_{i=1}^{n} Z_{i} [/itex], then [itex]X^2_{p} = pZ^2_1 [/itex] and [itex]X^2_{q} = qZ^2_1 [/itex].

Thus for all [itex]a [/itex], [itex] P(X^2_{p} > a) = P(pZ^2_1 > a ) = P(Z^2_1 > \frac {a}{p}) \geq P(Z^2_1 > \frac {a}{q}) = P(X^2_{q} > 1) [/itex], since [itex] p>q [/itex]. If [itex]a>0 [/itex], then there should be strict equality (I think).

Whatdya think?

5. Jan 20, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are writing down a bunch of material that makes no sense at all. Chi-squared = a sum of squares of iid N(0,1) random variables, not just a sum. I suggest you sit down, relax, and proceed slowly and carefully. Think about the actual definitions, and think about what I wrote in my previous response.

Alternatively, you can try to proceed directly: ##X## (with cdf ##F##) dominates ##Y## (with cdf ##G##) if ##G(x) \geq F(x)## for all ##x##, and ##>## holds for some ##x##. In other words, the stochastically larger random variable has a smaller cdf; that is, for each ##x##, it lies below the other one---so ##F## describes a distribution the lies to the "right" of ##G##. That means that the density functions ##f,g## must satisfy ##\int_0^x [g(t) - f(t)] \geq 0 ## for all ##x > 0##. You have formulas for ##f(t)## and ##g(t)##, so you can try to verify the cumulative ordering. That might be hard to do, so that is why I suggested an alternative approach.

6. Jan 20, 2015 #5
    Oops. Should have written [itex]X^2_{n} = \sum^{n}_{i=1} Z^2_{i} [/itex]. I was thinking that since the [itex]Z_{i}[/itex]'s are identically distributed, that I could just sum up their squares, [itex] X^2_1 [/itex]. Why am I wrong here, if they're identically distributed?

I will try the direct method, since [itex]X^2_{p} \sim \Gamma(p/2, 2) [/itex].

Update: Ok, I believe I've found a solid direct proof using the Chi square, Gamma and Poisson distribution. I'm excited, but busy now, so check tomorrow for my reply! And thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  7. Jan 21, 2015 #6
    Ok, there is a relationship between the Gamma and Poisson distribution. Let [itex] X \sim Gamma(\alpha, \beta) [/itex], then
    [itex] P(X \leq x) = P(Y \geq \alpha) [/itex], where [itex] Y \sim Poisson(x/\beta) [/itex].

Now let [itex]p > q [/itex], [itex] p,q \in \mathbb{Z}^{+}[/itex] [itex] a>0 [/itex], then
    [itex] P(X^2_{p} > a) < P(X^2_{q} > a)[/itex]
    [itex]\Leftrightarrow P(Y > p) < P(Y > q) [/itex]
    [itex]\Leftrightarrow 0 < P(Y>q) - P(Y>p) [/itex]
    [itex]\Leftrightarrow 0 < \sum^{\infty}_{y=q/2} \frac {e^{-a/2}(a/2)^{y}}{y!} - \sum^{\infty}_{y=p/2} \frac{e^{-a/2}(a/2)^{p} }{y!} [/itex]
    [itex] = \sum^{p/2}_{y=q/2} \frac {e^{-a/2} (a/2)^{y} }{y!} [/itex].
    The above is positive, proving a strict inequality for some [itex]a [/itex].

If [itex]a \notin \mathbb{R}^{+} [/itex], then
    [itex] P(X^2_{p} > a) = 1 = P(X^2_{q} > a)[/itex],
    hence [itex] \forall a \in \mathbb{R}, P(X^2_{p} > a) \geq P(X^2_{q} > a) [/itex], if [itex]p>q [/itex].

I think this is right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted