1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove commutator [A,B^n]=nB^(n-1)[A,B]

1. Mar 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A and B be two observables that both commute with their commutator [A,B].

a) Show, e.g., by induction, that [A,Bn]=nBn-1 [A,B].

3. The attempt at a solution
    Prove for n=1
    [A,B1]=1B1-1 [A,B].
    [A,B]=B0[A,B]=[A,B]

Show that it is true for n+1
    [A,Bn+1]=[A,BnB]=Bn[A,B]+[A,Bn]B

I am not sure how to continue. Could someone give me a hint what I should do next?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When using induction, you want to show that the relation holds for n+1 assuming it holds for n.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  4. Mar 13, 2015 #3
    Thank you but I know how induction works. That is why I set up the problem with n+1.

I need a hint on how to manipulate the commutators to show this is true, that [A,Bn+1]=(n+1)Bn [A,B].

5. Mar 13, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're showing the relation is true for n+1 assuming it is true for n. You have not yet used the assumption that it is true for n. Note on the right hand side you have a term [A,Bn]B. Simplify this term.

6. Mar 15, 2015 #5
    I overlooked the part in the problem statement that said that A and B both commute.

Then we have
    Assume [A,Bn]=nBn-1[A,B] is true
    Show that it is true for n+1 [A,Bn+1]=(n+1)Bn[A,B] is true.
    [A,Bn+1]=[A,BnB]=Bn[A,B]+[A,Bn]B=Bn[A,B]+B[A,Bn]
    =Bn[A,B]+BnBn-1[A,B]=Bn[A,B]+nBn[A,B]=(n+1)Bn[A,B]

7. Mar 15, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A and B are not assumed to commute. You are given that A commutes with [A, B]. Also, B commutes with [A, B]. But A does not necessarily commute with B.

OK. One thing that you might consider is that in getting to the end of your first line you used [A,Bn]B= B[A,Bn]. It might not be clear to the reader why this is justified. You can avoid this by rewriting [A,Bn]B in a different way using the assumption that [A,Bn]=nBn-1[A,B] is true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted