Prove Domain of Identity: (-1, 1], C is Any Real Number

  • Thread starter Thread starter NATURE.M
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Domain Identity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
NATURE.M
Messages
298
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that there is a constant C such that
[itex]arctan\sqrt{\frac{1-x}{1+x}}[/itex] = C - [itex]\frac{1}{2}arcsinx[/itex] for all x in a certain domain. What is the largest domain on which this identity is true? What is the value of the constant C?

The Attempt at a Solution



Now I know how to prove the initial statement (showing the derivatives are equal which implies they differ by only a constant), but I wanted to verify the largest domain and the value of C.

For the largest domain on which this identity is true I obtained (-1, 1] (since arcsinx is defined on
[-1, 1], and since -1 is not allowed).

And I believe C can be any real number.

So I'd just like to verify whether or not my interpretation is correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can tell, your domain is correct.

Am I right in interpreting that you are saying this equation is true for any value of C? If so, that's not true.

To solve for C, pick any value for x in the domain, plug it into the equation, and solve for C.
 
scurty said:
As far as I can tell, your domain is correct.

Am I right in interpreting that you are saying this equation is true for any value of C? If so, that's not true.

To solve for C, pick any value for x in the domain, plug it into the equation, and solve for C.

Yeah your right. I made a mistake there. And thanks scurty.
 
NATURE.M said:
Yeah your right. I made a mistake there. And thanks scurty.

Edit: Nevermind.

To make this post worthwhile, I suggest x values of 0 or 1 to solve for C.
 
scurty said:
Edit: Nevermind.

To make this post worthwhile, I suggest x values of 0 or 1 to solve for C.

Yeah I used x=0 and obtained C=[itex]\pi[/itex]/4.
 
It's all correct, but [itex]C[/itex] is uniquely defined by the equation. Just choose a value for [itex]x[/itex], for which you know the values on both sides of the equation!