Prove Existence: F(x) = (x-a)^2(x-b)^2 + x

  • Thread starter Thread starter snipez90
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Existence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
snipez90
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


[tex]Let F(x) = (x-a)^2(x-b)^2 + x[/tex]. Show that the output [tex]\frac{a+b}{2}[/tex] exists for some value x.

Homework Equations


Quadratic formula. [tex]x^2 \geq 0[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution


Hmm I've tried setting the two equal but that doesn't look nice (if I multiply everything out). It's easy to find the zeros of F(x) so there might be someway to relate to that? If someone could just give me a hint at a good first step for showing the existence of a certain output of a function.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I just edited it since there was an x in there. Now if a = b, then the output (a+b)/2 has to exist right? I'm not sure how to "show" it though. Show is just a bit more informal than a proof right?
 
F(a)=a and F(b)=b. That's a pretty good hint.
 
snipez90 said:
So invoke the Intermediate Value Theorem?

Exactly.