1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove f has maximum value in R

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f: ℝ→ℝ be continuous function such that f(x) approaches 0 when x---> -∞ and f(0)=2. In addition, f is decreasing when x≥3. Prove f has a maximum (greatest value) in ℝ.

2. Relevant equations
    Theorem: If function f is continuous on a closed interval [a, b], then f has maximum and minimum in [a, b].

3. The attempt at a solution

Because f(x) approaches 0 when x ---> -∞ then there exists a<0 such that a<0 ⇒ |f(x)-0|=|f(x)|<2. So a<0 ⇒ f(x)<2. Because f is continuous in ℝ, it's also continuous on a closed interval [a,3]⊂ℝ and there's the theorem in our lecture notes that says now ∃x0∈[a,3] such that f(x)≤f(x0) ∀x∈[a,3]. Since a is negative, 0∈[a,3] and therefore f(x0)≥f(0)=2. Because f is decreasing when x≥3, f(x)≤f(x0), when x>x0≥3.

The idea is to divide ℝ into intervals so that we get closed interval to apply the theorem.

In a summary:
    ##a<0 ⇒ f(x)<2≤f(x_0)##
    ##x∈[a,3] ⇒f(x)≤f(x_0)##
    ##x≥3 ⇒f(x)≤f(x_0)##

∴ f has greatest value/maxima in ℝ.

Is this proof correct and rigorious enough? I think I have made a mistake in the end when it comes to the fact that f is decreasing when x≥3.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you have the right idea. I would change your last inequality to$$
    x\ge 3 \implies f(x) \le f(3) \le f(x_0)$$to make it explicit where you use the fact that ##f## is decreasing on ##[3,\infty)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted