1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove: If p has a neighborhood contained in A, then p is in the interior of A.

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If p has a neighborhood contained in A, then p is in the interior of A.

2. Relevant equations
    Int A = [itex]\bigcup[/itex]{C[itex]\subseteq[/itex]X:C[itex]\subseteq[/itex]A and C is open in X}
    By the books definition, a neighborhood is open.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let C'[itex]\subseteq[/itex]A be a neighborhood of p contained in A
    Then p[itex]\in[/itex][itex]\bigcup[/itex]{C[itex]\subseteq[/itex]X:C[itex]\subseteq[/itex]A and C is open in X}
    p[itex]\in[/itex]Int A

Seems too simple, but I'm going through the book's definition of "neighborhood of p"--and open subset of X.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2012 #2
    You are thinking along the right lines. But C' as you chose it leads you nowhere. You have not proved that p is in any of C.

4. Sep 3, 2012 #3
    Should it state something like:
    Let p[itex]\in[/itex]A,
    There exists an open set C'[itex]\subseteq[/itex]A s.t. p[itex]\in[/itex]C'
    Thus it's in the union of all open sets.

Would that fix the issue? Thanks!

5. Sep 3, 2012 #4
    That works.

6. Sep 3, 2012 #5
    Excellent! Thank you for the help!

7. Sep 3, 2012 #6
    You just need to put things in a logical sequence without any gaps. First there is a neighborhood V. It contains some open set C'. Which must necessarily be one of all those open sets. So p is in the union. Q. e. d. If you are not explicit about every small detail, your professor might become unhappy :)

8. Sep 3, 2012 #7
    Lol, my professor is a stickler--but she is an excellent teacher! So she's only a stickler because she has covered the material. So hopefully I catch these things before a test---though we have a quiz coming up!

If you have time, do you mind helping me with my other post? I'm not quite sure I can stop where I did--though it makes sense to me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook