Prove Integral \int_{0}^{x}\frac{\sin(t)}{t+1}dt > 0 Without Calculus

  • Thread starter Thread starter Buri
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Buri
Messages
271
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that [tex]\int_{0}^{x}\frac{\sin(t)}{t+1}dt > 0[/tex]

Homework Equations



It asks me to do this without actually calculating it and I can't use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

The Attempt at a Solution



Okay, I see why this should be true as the function oscillates (with smaller bumps over time) around the x-axis so only the first bump really counts. I've tried considering small intervals where I know the function has certain values, but I can't seem to get anywhere with that idea either. Any help?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ughhh I figured it out! I just showed that the integral from [0,pi] is larger in absolute value than the integral from [pi,2pi]. Continuing in this fashion (i.e. pairing up consecutive intervals) proves the assertion.