1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove Lim of x^2 as x approaches 3 = 9 with Epsilon/ Delta Definition

1. Feb 18, 2014 #1
    Prove Lim x^2=9. With the epsilon/delta definition of a limit.
    x->3

My work so far. For every ε>0 there is a δ>0 such that

if 0<|x-3|<δ , Then |x^2-9|<ε

so, |(x-3)(x+3)|<ε

|x-3|* |x+3|∠ε

what do I do from here? My book is not very clear (Stewart Calculus 7ed) on how to do episolon/delta tolerance proofs on not so nice functions.

please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2014 #2
    and i also know that |x-3| is smaller then delta. I think this is a clue.

4. Feb 18, 2014 #3
    Try writing [itex]|x-3||x+3|<\epsilon [/itex] as [itex]|x-3|<\frac{\epsilon}{|x+3|} [/itex] and then substituting that for [itex]\delta [/itex].

5. Feb 18, 2014 #4
    so when sub everything back in I should get back the original? Therefore that last step was the answer? Or is there something more to it?

6. Feb 18, 2014 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, that's not how it works. If x is close to -3, then |x + 3| is close to zero, and you can't divide by zero. On the other hand, if x is close to 3, then |x + 3| is close to 6.

You have to make some assumptions on ##\delta## so that x is not too far away from 3.

7. Feb 18, 2014 #6

Sure it is.
    Say that [itex]|x-3|<1[/itex], then [itex]5<x+3<7[/itex]. Then we know that [tex]|x-3|<\frac{\epsilon}{|x+3|}<\frac{\epsilon}{7}.[/tex]Now we have a case where [itex]|x-3|<1[/itex] and a case where [itex]|x-3|<\frac{\epsilon}{7}[/itex]. So let [itex]\delta=min\{1,\frac{\epsilon}{7}\}[/itex].
    It's not like a direct substitution but it's the right idea.

8. Feb 18, 2014 #7
    how do we create the assumptions? Can I have an explanation in layman terms lol. This looks like the example in my book.

how did we restrict the values?

9. Feb 18, 2014 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is basically what I was talking about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted