Finding Delta for Epsilon in x^3 Function for c=5

I am sorry i sounded not polite, PeroK, please help, i have no idea how to solve even for |x-5|<1, as you suggested and i am very frustratedI think you probably need some one-to-one tuition on this, as your questions are difficult to answer.I don't think @BvU is nit-picking. You need to say something about large ##\epsilon##. And, it's critical to establish an intermediate bound on ##|x-5|## in order to get the main, variable bound based... on ##\epsilon##I am not sure if you are referring to the graph or to the condition ##|x - 5| <
Karol

Homework Statement

find a δ for a given ε for f(x)=x3 around c=5:
$$\vert x-5\vert<\delta~\Rightarrow~\vert x^3-5^3 \vert < \epsilon$$

Homework Equations

Continuity:
$$\vert x-c \vert < \delta~\Rightarrow~\vert f(x)-f(c) \vert < \epsilon$$
$$\delta=\delta(c,\epsilon)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\vert x^3-5^3 \vert =\vert x-5 \vert \cdot \vert x^2+5x+25 \vert$$
$$=\vert x-5 \vert \cdot \vert (x-5)^2+15(x-5)+75 \vert < \epsilon$$
$$\delta \cdot (\delta^2+15\delta+75)<\epsilon$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: look at ##x^2+5x+25##. What can you do with that if ##x## is "close enough" to ##5##?

A) What is your question?
B) If I give you a value for epsilon, can you give me a value for delta (a value for delta itself, that is) ?

If x is close to 5 from the left side then:
$$\vert x^3-5^3 \vert =\vert x-5 \vert \cdot \vert x^2+5x+25 \vert < 75\delta~\rightarrow~\delta<\frac{\epsilon}{75}$$
But if x is on the right?

Karol said:
If x is close to 5 from the left side then:
$$\vert x^3-5^3 \vert =\vert x-5 \vert \cdot \vert x^2+5x+25 \vert < 75\delta~\rightarrow~\delta<\frac{\epsilon}{75}$$
But if x is on the right?

I was thinking more that if ##x## is close to ##5## then ##x^2 + 5x + 25 \approx 75##.

And, if ##|x - 5| < 1##, say, then how big can ##x^2 + 5x + 25## be?

if ##~|x-5|<1##:
$$\vert x^3-5^3 \vert \triangleq\epsilon=\vert x-5 \vert \cdot \vert x^2+5x+25 \vert < 91\delta~\rightarrow~\delta>\frac{\epsilon}{91}$$
But it should be ##~\delta<\frac{\epsilon}{91}##

Karol said:
if ##~|x-5|<1##:
$$\vert x^3-5^3 \vert \triangleq\epsilon=\vert x-5 \vert \cdot \vert x^2+5x+25 \vert < 91\delta~\rightarrow~\delta>\frac{\epsilon}{91}$$
But it should be ##~\delta<\frac{\epsilon}{91}##

I think you are getting yourself confused in some way. You start with:

##|x^3 - 5^3| = |x-5||x^2 +5x + 25|##

Now you let ##|x -5| < 1##, which implies ##4 < x < 6##, which implies that ##|x^2 +5x + 25| < 91##

Putting that together you have:

##|x -5| < 1 \ \Rightarrow \ |x^3 - 5^3| < 91|x-5|##

Now, if you let ##\epsilon > 0## can you finish it off?

Hint: Let ##|x-5| < \dots ##

$$\delta\triangleq |x-5|=\frac{|x^3-5^3|}{|x^2+5x+25|}=\frac{\epsilon}{|x^2+5x+25|}<\frac{\epsilon}{91}$$
$$\Rightarrow\delta<\frac{\epsilon}{91}$$

I give you ##\epsilon = 200\ ##. Then ## \delta =2 < {200\over 91}\ ## is not good enough ...

Karol said:
$$\delta\triangleq |x-5|=\frac{|x^3-5^3|}{|x^2+5x+25|}=\frac{\epsilon}{|x^2+5x+25|}<\frac{\epsilon}{91}$$
$$\Rightarrow\delta<\frac{\epsilon}{91}$$

That's the background analysis, but it's not a proof, because you've got no explanation of what you are doing and the implication is the wrong way at the end.

What you've shown is:

##|x - 5| = \delta \ \Rightarrow \ \delta < \frac{\epsilon}{91}##

(I'm sorry to say I don't know what the little triangle means.)

You need to turn the logic round, so that for a given ##\epsilon## you have a well-defined ##\delta##.

Also, don't forget that you needed ##|x-5| < 1## as well.

I wasn't told, in the original question, that ##~|x-5| < 1~##.
And for |x-5|<1 it's correct ##~\delta < \frac{\epsilon}{91}##. but for all real numbers on x i don't know what to do since |x-5| doesn't appear in (x2+5x+25)
##\triangleq## means definition, a symbol given to

Karol said:
I wasn't told, in the original question, that ##~|x-5| < 1~##

You weren't told that ##|x -5| < \epsilon /91## either. So, where did that come from?

Karol said:
I wasn't told, in the original question, that ##~|x-5| < 1~##/QUOTE]

You weren't told that ##|x -5| < \epsilon

Karol said:
I wasn't told, in the original question, that ##~|x-5| < 1~##

You weren't told that ##|x -5| < \epsilon /91## either.

##|x -5| < \epsilon /91~## came from the condition ##~|x - 5| < 1## you proposed, and i guess ##~\delta<\frac{\epsilon}{91}~## satisfies this condition, but i am not sure.
And even if i solve correctly for ##~|x - 5| < 1~## it's not a general answer for all x

Karol said:
And even if i solve correctly for ##~|x - 5| < 1~## it's not a general answer for all x

Yes it is a solution. You are free to choose ##x## as close to 5 as you like. That's the whole point. If you can't choose ##x## close to ##5## how can you prove continuity?

If you look at ##x = 1,000,000## then even large ##\epsilon## is a problem.

PeroK said:
Yes it is a solution. You are free to choose x as close to 5 as you like. That's the whole point. If you can't choose x close to 5 how can you prove continuity?
I don't think it's a solution, since the definition of continuity first chooses ε and derives a δ. i choose ε as small as i want and the δ becomes small, x comes close to 5.
Yes, large ε is out of the domain |x-5|<1 (ε is not in the domain, it's on the Y axis, of course)

Karol said:
I don't think it's a solution, since the definition of continuity first chooses ε and derives a δ. i choose ε as small as i want and the δ becomes small, x comes close to 5.
Yes, large ε is out of the domain |x-5|<1 (ε is not in the domain, it's on the Y axis, of course)

Unfortunately, then, I don't think I can help you any further.

I am sorry i sounded not polite, PeroK, please help, i have no idea how to solve even for |x-5|<1, as you suggested and i am very frustrated

You have shown that for ##\varepsilon < 91 \ ## the condition ##\delta < {\varepsilon \over 91} \ ## is sufficient. I think that should be good enough for this exercise.

Personally, all I wanted to point out was that: just ##\delta < {\varepsilon \over 91} \ ## in itself is not really sufficient if you take the exercise wording literally.

In analysis statements are made like 'For all ##\varepsilon > 0 \ ## there exists a ##\delta > 0\ ## such that ... ' with the silent implication/intention that ##\varepsilon## can be made as small as desired (you ##\ ## look at/worry about ##\ ## the possibility to find a ##\delta## for ##\varepsilon \downarrow 0## ).

Outside of such a context nitpckers like me can point out that a simple expression for ##\delta## may fail for big ##\varepsilon##

Likes ThePiGeek314
Karol said:
I am sorry i sounded not polite, PeroK, please help, i have no idea how to solve even for |x-5|<1, as you suggested and i am very frustrated

I think you probably need some one-to-one tuition on this, as your questions are difficult to answer.

I don't think @BvU is nit-picking. You need to say something about large ##\epsilon##. And, it's critical to establish an intermediate bound on ##|x-5|## in order to get the main, variable bound based on ##\epsilon##.

More fundamentally, you need to look carefully at why we can take ##|x-5|<1##. It helps to limit ##\delta##, even when ##\epsilon/91## is large.

@Karol

Let me show you a rigorous proof for ##x^2## at ##x = 5##. Note that you can find this online in any case. E.g.

https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/62586-rigorously-prove-x-2-is-continuous

But, my version will be a little more step-by-step.

Let ##\epsilon > 0##.

##|x^2 - 5^2| = |x-5||x+5|##

Let ##|x-5| < 1##, then:

##4 < x < 6##, ##|x+5| < 11## and:

##|x^2 - 5^2| < 11|x-5|##

Now, further, let ##|x-5| < \epsilon/11##. Then:

##|x^2 - 5^2| < \epsilon##

Putting this all together we have shown that:

##\forall \ \epsilon > 0, |x-5| < min \{ 1, \frac{\epsilon}{11} \} \ \Rightarrow \ |x^2 - 5^2| < \epsilon##

Thus, we have proved that ##x^2## is continuous at ##x=5##.

(Note that I didn't in fact use the symbol ##\delta##. If this offends or confuses you, then you can write:

Let ##\delta = min \{ 1, \frac{\epsilon}{11} \}##, then:

##\forall \ \epsilon > 0, |x-5| < \delta \ \Rightarrow \ |x^2 - 5^2| < \epsilon##)

Try to work through this and understand the sequence of steps and the logic.

Thank you very much PeroK and BvU

What is the definition of epsilon and delta of x^3?

Epsilon and delta are mathematical terms used to describe the limit of a function. In the context of x^3, epsilon represents a small positive number and delta represents a small change in the input (x) value.

How are epsilon and delta related to the limit of x^3?

Epsilon and delta are used to determine the limit of a function, such as x^3. The limit is defined as the value that the function approaches as the input value (x) gets closer and closer to a certain value. Epsilon and delta help us determine this value by setting a threshold for how close the input value needs to be to the limit value.

Why are epsilon and delta important in calculus?

Epsilon and delta are fundamental concepts in calculus because they allow us to rigorously define the concept of a limit. The limit is a foundational concept in calculus and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a certain input value. Without epsilon and delta, it would be difficult to precisely define and calculate limits.

How can epsilon and delta be used to prove the limit of x^3?

Epsilon and delta can be used to prove the limit of x^3 by setting a value for epsilon and then finding a corresponding value for delta. This shows that for any input value (x) that is within delta distance from the limit value, the function will output a value within epsilon distance from the limit value. This concept can be applied to any function, including x^3, to prove its limit.

What are some real-world applications of understanding epsilon and delta in calculus?

Understanding epsilon and delta in calculus can have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, epsilon and delta can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a moving object at a specific moment in time. In economics, they can be used to analyze the behavior of markets and predict future trends. In general, understanding epsilon and delta can help us better understand and model the behavior of various systems and phenomena in the world around us.