1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove linear function of a variable

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the data table they are noon-hour temperatures of a certain week.

datatable.jpg

I calculated the mean which is 25 and l also calculated the standard deviation which is 3.74. Now they want me to show that :

if [tex]y=ax+b[/tex] then [tex]\bar{y}=a\bar{x}+b[/tex] and [tex]s_{y}= \left| a\right|s_{x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where they get this y from. Can you give me hints on how to solve this question ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Nyasha! :smile:
    For example, x could be in degrees Celsius, while y could be (9/5)x + 32, which is degrees Fahrenheit.

It's just a change in scale. :wink:

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They are not "getting" y from anywhere. They are defining y to be this linear function of x. The point is to show that if y is a linear function of x then the mean of y is that same linear function of the mean of x and the standard deviation of y is a multiple of the standard deviation of x.

5. Sep 30, 2009 #4
    Okay guys is this correct for the other part which says show that :
    [tex]s_{y}= \left| a\right|s_{x}[/tex]

Attempt to solution:

[tex]s^2_{y}=(a^2)\cdot(s^2_{x})[/tex]
    [tex]\sqrt{(s^2_{y})}=\sqrt{(a^2)\cdot(s^2_{x})[/tex]
    [tex]s_{y}= \left| a\right|s_{x}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook