Prove linear function of a variable

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the mean and standard deviation of noon-hour temperatures for a certain week. The task is to show that if y is a linear function of x, then the mean and standard deviation of y are related to the mean and standard deviation of x. The solution involves defining y as a linear function of x and showing that the standard deviation of y is a multiple of the standard deviation of x.
Nyasha

Homework Statement

In the data table they are noon-hour temperatures of a certain week.

datatable.jpg

I calculated the mean which is 25 and l also calculated the standard deviation which is 3.74. Now they want me to show that :

if [tex]y=ax+b[/tex] then [tex]\bar{y}=a\bar{x}+b[/tex] and [tex]s_{y}= \left| a\right|s_{x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where they get this y from. Can you give me hints on how to solve this question ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nyasha! :smile:
Nyasha said:
… if [tex]y=ax+b[/tex] then [tex]\bar{y}=a\bar{x}+b[/tex] and [tex]s_{y}= \left| a\right|s_{x}[/tex]

I don't know where they get this y from. Can you give me hints on how to solve this question ?

For example, x could be in degrees Celsius, while y could be (9/5)x + 32, which is degrees Fahrenheit.

It's just a change in scale. :wink:

They are not "getting" y from anywhere. They are defining y to be this linear function of x. The point is to show that if y is a linear function of x then the mean of y is that same linear function of the mean of x and the standard deviation of y is a multiple of the standard deviation of x.

Okay guys is this correct for the other part which says show that :
[tex]s_{y}= \left| a\right|s_{x}[/tex]

Attempt to solution:

[tex]s^2_{y}=(a^2)\cdot(s^2_{x})[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{(s^2_{y})}=\sqrt{(a^2)\cdot(s^2_{x})[/tex]
[tex]s_{y}= \left| a\right|s_{x}[/tex]

What is a linear function of a variable?

A linear function of a variable is a mathematical relationship between two variables that can be represented by a straight line on a graph. It has the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

How can I prove that a function is linear?

To prove that a function is linear, you can use the slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) or the point-slope form (y - y1 = m(x - x1)) to show that the function follows the rules of a linear equation. Additionally, you can plot the points on a graph and see if they form a straight line.

What is the difference between a linear and non-linear function?

The main difference between a linear and non-linear function is that a linear function has a constant rate of change, while a non-linear function does not. This means that the slope (m) of a linear function remains the same for all values of x, while the slope of a non-linear function changes.

What types of real-world problems can be represented by linear functions?

Linear functions can be used to represent many real-world problems, such as distance vs. time, speed vs. time, and cost vs. quantity. For example, the cost of buying a certain number of items at a fixed price can be represented by a linear function.

What are some real-world applications of linear functions?

Linear functions have numerous real-world applications, including in economics, physics, and engineering. Some examples include calculating the slope of a demand or supply curve in economics, determining the velocity of an object in physics, and designing structures with specific rates of change in engineering.